Chapter 25

I was stood outside with Murphy while the others clear the house. "So, tell me Jaime, why 10k?" Murphy asked me, staring at me and leaning on the rickety fence surrounding the crumbling house. I stared at him, confused and annoyed. "What do you mean?" I scowled. "Well I mean, why would you choose him to be with instead of, well I don't know, someone else. Like what if we met someone 10 times better then 10k?".
"No one is better than 10k." I gritted my teeth and stared at the door, waiting for them to come back and free me from Murphy's presence.

I wouldn't let him get under my skin. He was always trying to piss me off one way or another, always trying to find something bad about 10k and I. After he heard the fury in my voice, he shut up. I blinked slowly and took a deep breath. The wind blew gently through the darkening sky. It wasn't cold, but it was refreshing after walking in the heat all day. The trees swayed casually in the sudden breeze.

Around 10 minutes later, Doc emerged from the house. He quickly waved us over, signalling that house was clear. I grabbed Murphy by the arm, forcing him forward and into the safety of the others. The door clicked shut behind us and we faced the group. Everyone was quiet and I raised my left eyebrow questioningly. "Don't...Don't go in pantry," 10k mumbled looking to the floor. I didn't question it and respected his warning.

After we had all eaten and conversed between one another, we decided to catch some sleep. 10k had first watch so I went to bed alone. "I'll be up in a couple of hours," He muttered before kissing my head and pulling me into a hug. I sighed and nodded. I pulled back to go upstairs but he grabbed my arm, swinging me towards him. He leaned in slowly and kissed me softly. I smiled when he pulled away and I walked away, his eyes staying on me until I turned up the stairs.

The room we had been assigned by Warren was a small single room. It was a single bed but 10k and I didn't mind sharing. The walls were pink and plastered in various posters of bands and tv shows. A messy dresser sat in the corner next to an even messier desk. I closed the door behind me and walked over to the dusty window. The window panes were intact and murky, providing a dirty view of the side of the next door neighbours house. I pulled the pink curtains together, a quiet jingling from the hooks at the top. I stretched and stepped over to the bed, kicking off my boots and placing down my bag and weapons.

Something on the dresser caught my eye and I strolled over to it. I picked up the object in my hands and smiled widely. It was a hairbrush! I pulled out my hair bobble and started to tug the brush through the snarled ginger mess on my head. I winced in pain a few times while tugging out the knots but soon my hair was flat and smooth. I smiled again and stuffed the brush into my bag before climbing into bed and pulling the cold sheets over my body. It felt strange trying to fall asleep without 10k but I managed after a few minutes of tossing and turning.

Something woke me up and I grabbed for my knife under my pillow. I started to swing my arm around to stab, but someone grabbed my arm and shushed me. "Woah, Jaime it's just me, I've finished my watch now," 10k whispered and took the knife out of my hand. I sighed and let my head hit the pillow. "Jesus Tommy I could've stabbed you," I whispered and looked up at him climbing into bed. We were extremely close as we are sharing a single bed. "Your forgetting I know you very well," He smirked and I felt his breath on my face. I smirked and closed the gap between us, our lips connect and sparks flew. My stomach still got filled with butterflies every time we kissed.

I pulled myself on top of him so I was now straddling him. He raised both his eyebrows and smirked again. I smiled and leaned down planting a small kiss on his lips. "Watch go okay?" I asked and he nodded his head slightly. His hands rested on my hips and I leaned down again. I started to kiss his neck, leaving small hickeys as I moved. I felt him tense under me as I reached the crook of his neck. I had found his weak spot. I smirked before kissing there again, moving back up to his lips. He slipped his tongue into my mouth and a feeling of excitement ripples through my body. He pulled back and looked at me, "We should get some sleep," He whispered and pulled me to his chest, his breathing slowed as he drifted off to sleep.

The next morning we started to look for a vehicle to stop Murphy's complaining. 10k held my hand as we strolled up the street alone. We had split up to look, 10k and I and, Doc, Warren and Murphy. Warren wouldn't let Murphy leave her sight if there was any chance of danger. After all, he was the package. 10k left me to kill a Z before quickly returning to me. He smiled and took my hand again as we continued around the block.

"Let's try this one," I pulled him towards an open garage with a silver car rusting away in the dimly lit structure. I let go of his hand and circled around the car carefully, checking for Z's. "Clear," I exclaimed and smiled, putting my machete back in my belt but not securing it just in case. 10k pulled open the driver's door and started to mess with the wires. The engine spluttered but didn't start. "Damn it!" 10k hissed and tried again. It spluttered once more but still didn't start.  I lifted up the hood and looked at the engine. I had no clue what any of these things are or what they did, but I'm sure 10k knew. "Is something wrong with the engine?" I asked and he appeared beside me. He poked around. "This thing won't be starting anytime soon," He sighed and turned away.

We met back up with the others and luckily the others had found a black pick up truck. "Sweet find!" I shouted and high fived Warren who laughed and nodded her head. "Everyone pile in!" Warren ordered and she jumped in behind the wheel. Doc climbed into the passenger seat, Murphy in the back seat and 10k and I in the bed of the truck. Warren sped off and I snuggled into 10k, watching the scenery rush past.