Chapter Sixteen

My eyes seem hollowed, sickly in the spotless oval mirror hanging in Ed's cozy bathroom. Gently, my fingers glide over the skin with cold water in a useless attempt to reinvigorate my weakened nerves. After a day of flights and a night terrorized by a cruel ex-husband, with a finale visit to the slammer, I don't know how I'm still upright.

Despite the lump of fear lodged deep into my chest at the thought of coming in contact with Dixon again, I am determined to beat him at his own sick game. The man that emerged from the shadows in my apartment last night deserves no ounce of sympathy. He deserves to pay for what he's done, for what he's trying to do to me­— to Giovanni.

As difficult as it may seem to fathom, incriminating Dixon is the only way out of this. That will be the only way to silence him. It won't be easy, considering he's been off the grid for so long.

But this is my specialty. This is what I've spent nearly a decade doing, what I do best. I protect my clients.

And Giovanni is my highest priority.

Which means pride must be put aside. Anger. Resentment.

I already know what needs to be done. And while the thought makes me sick, I know it's our best chance through this.

I exit the bathroom, fingers clutching the smooth sleeves of the raincoat I haven't taken off yet, and when I'm near the end of the hall, I hear whispers. I stop to listen, nervous about what I'll hear but positive I need to hear it.

"What is your plan? This guy doesn't seem like he's going to stop."

"No, he won't," Giovanni responds with a sigh, as if he's reluctant to answer him.

"How are you planning to keep him away from her?"

"You know, I really haven't gotten that far, Ed."

"Well, one thing's for sure, she can't stay in that apartment alone anymore. I think it's important that you spend your time here from now on."

"There is so much more to this than you know. And honestly, and I mean this with no offense, but it's best if you remain out of it."

"I care about her too, you know."

"I am well aware. That has nothing to do with this."

"It does. She needs more than you can give her."

"And what? What? You're saying you can offer her more?"

"I can. From the moment I saw her with you, I knew you would cause her trouble. And you forget, I was here, by her side when you up and left her for six months." He lowers his voice. "I watched as you stole the light from her eyes, and I hated you for it. That woman is fucking fantastic, and she deserves better than you. Better than me."

I hear a low chuckle from Giovanni. "I am aware that she deserves better. And maybe it was selfish of me to enter her life once again, but I'm a selfish man. I'll remind you that you are an overseer of our relationship; you have no goddamn clue what actually occurs between she and me." I hear the island high-top squeak softly as someone stands up. "Whether you like it or not, Ed, I'm going to be in her life as long as she wants me to be. So, I don't give a shit if you don't like me for her. I'm here; I'm hers. And that's the only thing that matters to me. Your qualms with me don't."

Before Ed can answer him, I hurry back and shut the door to the bathroom with emphasis, hoping the sound is loud enough to stop their ridiculous pissing contest. When I turn the corner, Ed's turned towards the coffee machine, and Giovanni is leaning against the island, gaze directed my way. I think my eavesdropping has gone unnoticed. Giovanni is noticeably bristling, but as I walk toward him, his features begin to relax.