Chapter 3

“Amber Flanagan, Data and Development"

“Good morning Miss Flanagan.” My heart stops and I mouth Carter to Matt, his eyes wide “Would I be able to steal a moment of your time for a meeting?”

“Yes,  of course Mr. Carter. When would be convenient for you?”  My hands start sweating.

“Now if you can make the arrangements.” My heart stops “Yes of course sir,  right away.” I push my chair back and trip up myself and Matt looks at me. “Everything ok?!” He looks at me,  “I don't know…..”

I work my way up to Ryan's floor,  upon exiting the elevator his secretary points towards his office.  My heels sink into the plush carpeting, as I approach his door a shiver slides down my back as a pit settles in my stomach.

“Come in.” his voice echoes from the other side and I open the door.  “Ahh! Miss Flanagan, please have a seat.” He leans forward on his elbows,  his fingers crossed,  except for his two index fingers that he steeples. His suit is impeccable,  and he looks impressive behind the mahogany desk.

“Mr. Spencer was in here earlier,  and it has come to my attention he will be going overseas.  Do you have similar aspirations?” His eyes watch every movement,  the grey seems to warm when I meet his eyes.

“I plan on meeting with my manager to discuss my available vacation,  but beyond that I do not intend to allow my duties to slack.”

He taps his fingers together,  and nods his head like he's thinking.  “I have a proposal for you.” His eyes watch my reaction,  I sit up and look at him, my mouth open slightly “OK, what do you have in mind?”

Ryan's silver eyes glimmer laughingly knowing this is a very unique conversations like most of them, “I have convinced Mr. Spencer to continue working for the firm remotely on a call in basis. I will require him to have someone with or near him to respond to emails and correspondence.  This position will also require you to meet with clients and prospective customers while traveling over seas and within the continent.” I blink at him,  is he offering what I think he is? To work while I'm gone,  to avoid losing my job or time?

“And my position here at the company?”

“Your title would be changed to Executive Assistant To Field Office. You will work side by side with Mr. Spencer and report directly to me for duties and meetings I'll set up.  Your position here would be replaced,  and you would be required to train your replacement along side the new employee you will obtain Monday from the merger. This position will come with a substantial raise and additional perks,  such as paid expenses. I do need your answer immediately however,  or I will need to find another employee to fill this vital position.” He smiles mischievously pursing his lips.

“I appreciate the opportunity to represent the company in such a manner Mr. Carter. I accept this position.” He stands and I do the same and extends his hand “I will discuss the changes with your manager, and will make arrangements for our hiring department to fill your position immediately. Your new position will take effect immediately, so you will have added work load with the training, but I figure you will manage it.” I shake his hand “I won't let you down sir!”

“You'll be expected to coordinate with Mr. Spencer before starting Monday to organize both of your duties.” I nod,  “Is he aware?”

“ I just send him an email informing him of these changes and requirement of having to train someone starting Monday.” The corner of his mouth lifts, I nod. Ryan may be a professional,  but the relationship between him and Colin is unique. “Have an excellent rest of your shift Miss Flanagan. I'll send your manager an email immediately.”
“Thank you sir,  I will do my best!”

I leave the office smiling,  as I access the elevator I'm in the clouds and push 42 to access Colin's floor.  The doors open and I make my way to his office door,  I knock and am not surprised that he doesn't respond,  I turn the handle and walk in.  He's focused on his computer looking angry,  I smile walking up to him,  I set my hand on his shoulder.  His eyes flash the storm to mine,  and he growls.

“TRAINING! Carter has me training a monkey to be my ‘assistant' while I'm gone.  Fuck!! Tried to get him to change his mind,  but apparently the idiot accepted the position. I'm going to make their life hell.”

“You already do!” I laugh as he looks at me dumbstruck.

“What?!” his eyes wide looking at me, the crystal blue trying to wrap his mind around my words.

“Your new Executive Assistant is not going to be chased away by your sour attitude.  You'll just have to deal with them stretched thin while they train their replacement and do your duties as well.”

His eyes darken as he still seems to be confused by my statement.  I come to stand between his knees “For a genius you seem awful daft right now….. I'm your new Executive Assistant.”

“Are you Fucking shitting me?” His eyes lock with mine and he scans them.  “No Colin,  I'm not.  I just left Carter's office,  I'll be your contact for when he needs you while you're on tour,  and I'll be responsible for making contact with existing and potential clients while on the go.”

“Wait?! Does this mean?” I feel his muscles contact as he asks the question “Yes.  This means,  if your final decision is to go on tour then your secretary will be going with you.”

He gets up so quickly his chair flies across the room,  and he embraces me tightly,  his lips crash against mine,  hands slide up my sides.  I allow myself to sigh against him and run my fingers along his waist line.  “That's if you want the trouble of training someone to do your paperwork and answer your phone.”

He growls against my lips “As long as she's as naughty as she is sexy we won't have a problem.” I laugh.  “In all seriousness though,  I'll have to split my time between training my position and learning here.  We will have to come up with some form of scheduling.  I'll have two trainees, thankfully Matt can help,  even though he'll be too busy flirting I'm sure.”

He nods,  and keeps me drawn in,  his lips brush my ear as his hair tickles my cheek “I think this will be the most fun I've had at work.” I push him back,  smiling “I expect pure professionalism from the developer, nothing less.”

His lip turns up mockingly “You're not serious?”

“You'll just have to find out.” I kiss his cheek, turn on my heels and walk out.
On my floor again after a quick meeting with Gabriel, I inform Matt of what's going on. “Well Princess,  I'm happy for you,  but I'm going to miss your sass daily!”

I laugh “They'll get you a pretty little replacement and you'll forget all about me!” I slap his shoulder
“You're not that forgettable Amber!” He smiles and pretends to look me over.

“You Flirt!!!” he laughs. “I'm not going to be that far,  and we will see each other regularly still.” Matt comes around and hugs me.  “Seriously Amber,  congrats,  this is an awesome opportunity.”

I smile and return to my work hoping the rest of the evening goes as smoothly while talking to Adam and Doris.