Chapter 23 The Capture

Chapter 23

The Capture

After most of the students had left school, Myrtle walked down the hall towards the History classroom. She really was not on board when Aria had the idea to bring Argarion here. The young princess theorized that since he knew how his powers functioned he would be able to recognize whether Kendal's behavior was changing solely because of her desire for revenge or because of the magic by itself.

"Myrtle?" a voice called from behind her.

Myrtle turned around. "Oh, hi Casey."

"Hey, I thought you would have left by now," he said to her.

"Oh no, not yet," Myrtle said softly, hoping he wasn't going to try to ask her out again. "I'm on my way soon. I just need to talk to Mr. Evans about something."

Casey frowned and tilted his head. "You knew him before this, haven't you? I swear I'm not trying to be nosy. I've just noticed you two seemed familiar with each other."

Myrtle wished that were not the case. For a moment she even wanted it to be true that she only had a normal life here in this world. That way maybe she could get to know her coworkers a little better without having to worry about them discovering who she truly was.

"We used to... well, it's a bit complicated," Myrtle concluded with, feeling frustrated. She usually did not have this much trouble thinking of lies off the top of her head.

"I see," Casey said, quietly. "Well, I hope its not too weird working with him here. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here."

"Thanks," Myrtle muttered, not really sure of what else to say.

"Well, I should go now," he said. "I have a group of students in my classroom working on a project for extra credit. I should get back before they accidently blow something up. I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Goodbye," Myrtle said as he walked away.

She sighed and then continued on to Mr. Evans classroom. Myrtle did not even bother to knock as she burst the door open. Argarion appeared only slightly startled by her presence but did not jump.

"Myrtle," he said, calmly looking up from his papers, he was in the process of grading. "What brings you here?"

She closed the door and answered, "I just came to get your report of what you saw today."

"You really seem confident that I will cooperate with you," he muttered, looking back down to his papers.

Myrtle casually strolled over by his desk and said, "Well, I trust your will to survive will motivate you to help us in any way that you can."

He looked back up to her. "Are you threatening me, Myrtle?"

She shook her head. "No, Aria would not want me to kill anyone. I suppose I should honor her wishes. It's Kendal you should be concerned about. After all, if your magic really does turn her over to the dark side, she might decide to take her vengeance out on you since she can't get to Sahrissa right now."

Myrtle noticed Argarion gulp before he replied, "You really think she might... kill?"

"Well, that's what evil people tend to do," Myrtle replied, looking him in the eye. "You and I should know."