1: Little Do You Know

Naylani

     "I swear I hate this School" I said to my best friend, Keyona. Me and Key been friends since birth- well, that's what our mamas say. Our moms are best friends so I guess it makes sense that we be cool too. Our moms met at an alternative high school when they both got knocked up. I was born only a week after Keyona and she loves to throw that in my face.

"Girl me too," she agreed, "But think about it this way. It's our junior year, we just gotta get through this and senior year gon be a breeze."

"Yea, I guess."

      I started hearing a bunch of commotion behind me.  Me and Keyona both turned around with a quickness. A swarm of students were running in our direction. We looked at each other and we started running too.

Fuck I look like standing in the way?

     We moved over out of the middle of the hallway to see what everyone was running too. They all formed into a circle, which meant there was a fight. Me and Keyona ran towards the cirlcle to see who was getting they ass beat. It turned out to be KeShawn and Latrell. I won't surprised. They was always fighting bout some dumb shit then they would be friends the next day.

       The gym coaches ran up and separated the fight. As KeShawn was being pulled away he looked me dead in my eye. He and I held eye contact for what seemed like forever. It was almost like a game. Neither one of us wanted to drop our gaze. I can't even lie, I always had a lil thing for KeShawn and I knew he liked me too, but I would never fuck with someone gang affiliated. That's like asking for death. These young boys be so damn dumb to believe that these lil gangs will bring em' success.

      Coach Evans pulled him around the corner and reality set back in. Keyona started to laugh hysterically. I punched her in her arm.

      "Bitch, shut up!"
       "I seen the way you was looking at KeShawn" she laughed.
        "I was not looking at his uglass, hop off"
         "Yea yea. Girl stop playing and just be with his sexy ass before I do."
         "Chill out. And I can't be with him" I argued
          "And why is that?"
          "Because, he's in a gang and he selling. I'm not no dumb hoe. Nothing good will ever come from being affiliated with a gang."
          " Ion give a fuck. He fine, you fine, be fine together!"
            " girl you stupid" I laughed at her and we headed on to the cafeteria.

      After we got our lunches we sat down and had a little chat. We was both irritated because we haven't gotten any volunteer hours yet and we need them to graduate. Our guidance councilor, Mr.G set us up a job to help out around the library. I really don't feel like doing it but I gotta do what I gotta do.

  KeShawn

       Fuck. Latrell dumbass got me leaking. I can't believe his bitch ass thought he could talk to my hoes. He need to learn some respect, that's bro code. Now that I think about it Tiffany thot ass won't really worth fighting over. But it's the principle of the matter.

     Mr.G came into the office to talk to me as usual. I was used to this same old conversation. He would say how he's disappointed and how he cares about me blah blah blah. Then he would call my ma and have me suspended for two days. I never cared. School could suck my right nut to be fucking honest. I got money. Ion need this shit.

     "Mr. Williams, I am very disappointed in you. This fighting has got to stop. You have a bright  future ahead of you and it is my duty to ensure that you reach your highest potential. I genuinely care about your well-being and I know you can go far if you would just apply yourself."

"Yea yea bruh I know. You say this same shit every time."

      He clenched his jaw and that shit made me laugh. It was so funny seeing this nigga get mad.

"Can you just suspend me already so we can get this shit over with?"

"Boy, don't you play with me. You must not be learning your lesson by suspension." He said as he flipped through my huge record.

"I guess."
" You don't have any volunteer hours I see."
"What I need hours for? Ian graduating no way."
"Yes you are. Anyway, I'm signing you up for library duty instead of suspension. If you get suspended again, you will be expelled."
"Suspend me then."
"How do you think that would make your mother feel?"

      I balled my fist up. I wanted to punch this muthafucka. He knew that talking bout my moms would strike a nerve, and it did. My ma is sick right now and I swear I don't mean to be such a hothead. I just cant help it. I been through so much in these past 17 years. I know it hurts my mom when she see me acting a fool but it's better than facing the pain. She ain't able to work no more so I'm doing what I gotta do to keep us in our apartment.

"Aight man fine. I'll work in the dumbass library."

"Good. And to ensure that you are doing your job, I am assigning you an accountability partner. If you are not doing you job, then your partner will let me know. This is your last chance, or else expulsion."

"What? Who is the accountability partner?"

"Naylani Smith."

A smile crept on my face. Naylani was so damn fine. I been tryna hit that since freshman year. That ass was so fat bruh. She be playing games tho. But I know my charm will work. I'll prolly have them drawls in a few weeks.

" I can't wait to get started sir." I shook his hand and left the office.