A Heart for Milton - Chapter 7

Margaret awoke early to find sunlight filtering through the translucent curtains of the Eastern windows, filling the room with a soft glow. She smiled to consider, as she usually did, what Mr. Thornton might be doing, since this morning it might easily be discovered. The contemplation of his proximity increased her excitement to see him.

Margaret threw off her coverlet to begin her toilette. She calculated that his many years of diligent work must have established in him a habit of early rising. She hoped that she might find him breakfasting alone, knowing that her family would not appear for their morning tea until later.

She was amused to find herself rushing about in her haste to see the man whom she would see every morning for many years hence. How was it that she could not stop thinking about him? She had scarcely been able to fall asleep, dreaming of the tender kisses he had bestowed on her last night in the shadowed doorway of the study. She had been unable to move, completely mesmerized by the nearness of him. In fact, she recognized that she could not concentrate on anything else when he was near. Was this how one acted when one was thoroughly in love? She felt the impulse to be with him with every breath she took, until it quite alarmed her with its intensity.

She set about brushing her hair and winding it into a coil on her head. How was it that only a week ago they had not known of each other's affections? It amazed her to think how markedly everything had changed since they had made their avowals. She considered herself almost a new person, and yet she felt much the same as she had as a young girl in her hope and expectation of good.

It was the renewal of joy in her life that she felt most acutely. The months of trial she had spent since moving to Milton were now seen in an entirely different light. All the events that she had so grievously endured had, in truth, only engendered the unique circumstances of their acquaintance and, consequently, their abiding love for one another. Everything that had happened there now seemed to bind her inextricably to him. She did not believe she could be any happier, or love him any more, than she did at this moment.

Buoyed with anticipation, she quickly descended the stairs to the main floor, restraining herself from the inclination to run down them like a young schoolgirl.

As she stepped into the dining room, a cursory glance at the round breakfast table brought a pang of disappointment to find it unoccupied. In the next instant, her eye detected movement from the far side of the room. He had been standing at the window and now bounded toward her with a smile that warmed brilliantly as he approached her.

Margaret slowly drew her breath in as her eyes roamed over his tall figure. It struck her forcefully how handsome he was. He was especially well dressed, wearing the silver-gray waistcoat and matching cravat that Margaret recognized as the same he had worn at Fanny's wedding. She remembered how dashing he had looked that day, and remembered equally the sharp feeling of regret that had come over her when she had thought him lost to her. She recalled how unhappy he had appeared, and realized in an instant's insight that he had loved her even then.

They reached out simultaneously to clasp hands. "Do you always rise so early?" Mr. Thornton asked her curiously, looking at her with a measure of wonder that she should be there with him.

"Not always, no," she replied. "I thought I might find you here...before the others arrived," she admitted shyly.

Mr. Thornton marveled to discover her eagerness to see him. Could she be as drawn to him as he was to her? How irresistible she was to him! He could not refrain from touching her when they found themselves alone. "Did you sleep well?" he inquired, languidly moving his thumbs across the back of her hands.