11 ~ CIT

“Where are they?” Uri’s helm tilts in Arthur’s direction, but her eyes remain on the scene before them. On the way here, the newly appointed Paladin had dozens of potential scenarios playing through her mind. None of them amounted to this.

To absolute silence.

Brotherhood soldiers are scattered across the barren lawns. Some take point behind makeshift barricades, and others give in to small curiosities as they poke and prod at various remnants of the Institute’s origins. But there is not a single synth in sight… and that has Uri feeling more anxious than dropping straight into battle.

“Report!”

“Elder Maxson, this is Paladin Giles - no sign of any Institute personnel or synths since we arrived. My group were the first to arrive.”

“They must have had pre-emptive intel!” Arthur growls, shoving the radio over to Sykes. “I would ask how, but I suspect that has everything to do with their abominations!”

“If they’re hatching some sort of scheme then we need to get down there!” Uri grasps his arm. “Sir, we can’t stay up here and expect the others to be our cannon fodder. I know we were prepared to drop straight into action, but we can’t just wait.”

Sykes steps forward.

“But the minigun--”

“Fuck the minigun!” She growls at a surprised-looking Star-Paladin, “I’m going down there. Are you with me, Elder?”

“Affirmative. Star-Paladin, remain here and man the gun.”

Not a single soldier jumps as their power armours land in unison. They are too busy scrounging for any sign of attack. Uri double-checks that Buster is fully-stocked; dying to ignore the panic threatening to consume her.

What’s going on? Where are they? Of course they knew that the Brotherhood were coming. Hell - every trader, civvy and raider knows. Arthur’s melodramatic entrance into the Commonwealth made sure of that. Not only are there no synths, but the entire square is void of their spy-birds.

“What do we do?”

“We need Prime to find an entrance. Until he arrives… There is nothing we can do.”

Arthur doesn’t need to tell Uri that this frustrates him to no end. The sharpness of his tone speaks volumes. His helm may be hiding his eyes, but she can almost see his stormy eyes scouring the place for any unusual movements. With a swallow, she raises her weapon and begins a sweep of her own. It’s not long before another, power-armoured figure has sidled up beside her.

“Well, well, well - if it isn’t our new Paladin!”

“Excellent attention to ranking, Knight,” Uri’s lips almost twitch into a smirk - but anxiety gets the best of her. “What the hell’s going on here, Del?”

“Lord, if I know. TMI, but I feel about ready to shit myself. Hey - isn’t there some pre-war saying that covers this? Sitting quacks?”

“Sitting ducks,” She snorts, “where’d you dig up that old fossil?”

“Your vault, Ma’am. It was on some note about the mutiny.”

“Touché.”

Delecroix’s chuckle dies quickly, and he pauses his strides.

“How’re you holding up?”

“Don’t,” her helm shudders with the sharp shake of her head, “I - I’m holding up. Can’t look into it more than that, especially with this confusing mess--”