Chapter 8 - Bye-Bye Rainbows

Sleep came to Alec as soon as his head hit the pillow. Jenny took a little extra time in the loo with her personal hygiene and when she opened the door, she heard him snoring. She couldn't help but smile down at him. The poor exhausted darling. It wasn't lust she felt when she climbed into bed. For as much as he pleasured her and he did know all the places to elicit that pleasure, it was peace she felt when he scooted over to cuddle. He threw one arm over and pulled her close, his head rested on her chest. She lay there, with a thousand thoughts in her head as she ran her fingers through his hair. Streaks of red mingled with brown but not a single grey hair marred his luxurious mop. It felt like silk as it slid through her fingers. A yawn escaped as he settled into her. Her own eyes drifted closed. A small smile tugged at her mouth, She couldn't remember the last time she'd felt so safe. She certainly had never felt so loved. She pushed sleep away long enough to kiss his head. "You do know you make my hearts soar," she whispered And you fill my soul with happiness.

The odd feeling someone stared at her brought her back from the depths of sleep. She cracked open one eye and then the other. Alec leaned on one elbow looking at her, smiling. "Good morning lover, what are you smiling at?"

"You sweetheart. I've been laying here thinking how beautiful you are and how lucky I am.

"Why do you feel lucky, may I ask?" Her voice cracked with the huskiness of sleep instead of  wanton need, Somehow it wasn't quite the way she wanted, but his smile grew,

"Because you are so special and I'm just – me. You can have your choice of any man, and yet you chose me. Why I don't know, I'm just a tall, skinny, old broken down Scot?"

"I have a thing for tall, skinny Scotsmen."  Her gaze swept over him. "There is nothing neither old or broken down about you."

Alec kissed her lips, tasted her early morning mouth and whispered, "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Her hand stroked his stubble shadowed cheek. " I can't see living my life without you."

Alec's grin widened. His hand cupped her breast, he felt her nipple hardened against his touch, "Well," he said. we have a little time before the alarm goes off, how about doing some heavy snogging to take up the time?"

"I do love a proper early morning snog," she said,

Aled leaned down and kissed her eyes. Her hand took on a life of its own as he trailed kisses across her cheeks, down her neck as she explored his body. An urgency replaced the kisses as he pulled her t-shirt over her head and she giggled in response.

****

Alec stopped at the steps leading inside headquarters, straightened his tie and forced the smile from his face. It was hard, That grin hadn't faded one bit since he'd opened his eyes and now he had to be professional, stern and the proverbial shit-face his reputation had demanded since the day he first walked through the office and yelled, Bloody Twitter!. He caught a glimpse of his reflection in the glass door. Tie straight, suit slightly rumpled and more happiness than he'd felt in years, Maybe he could pull this off long enough to end Broadchurch's drug problem. He huffed and yanked the door open. He took the stairs up to the squad room with a lightness in his step that hadn't been there in years.

Ellie met him at the door,  "Well you look bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning. Must have had a good night's rest. Feel up to a drive?"

Alec glared. "Alright Miller, do you have some good news for me on Reynolds?"

A huge grin graced her face. "Sorta, a dive shop up the coast identified John Reynolds as a man who brought in tanks, last night for a refill. He is supposed to pick them up in about an hour. Do you want to tag along and wait for him to show up?" she said with a wicked smile.