Past, Present, Future?

The next morning Damien and I set out for our long journey to get to Adela. We both decided to take a car that Damien owns. It's not often we are allowed to drive ourselves, but it's required that we learn. Just in case something bad happens and the royals need to get away, we take a regular car. That way, no one knows it is us and we can get to safety.

As we were driving further and further away, I could see how life was like outside of the kingdoms. It's not nearly as extravagant. The people live in little huts, basically. I feel bad for them. I would give them my castle, if I could. The only reason I live in one is because I am the prince. I frown at seeing the people in rags. They look like they are suffering. To be honest, I've never been this far out of my kingdom. I didn't even know this existed. Why wouldn't my parents tell me about this place?

"They are people who can't afford anything. They either were born poor or they lost everything. This is where they go to live because this is all they can have. People call them 'Pauper'." Damien explained to me.

I frown even more. I didn't know about this. Why didn't anyone tell me? I would've gotten these people homes. Pauper is Latin for the word poor. Does no one care about these people? They look like they haven't eaten in days.

"You are acting like you didn't know about this." He says with a giggle. I didn't answer him because I really didn't know. "Wait... You really didn't know?" He had this look of shock and confusion on his face.

I shook my head as a no. "I didn't know. No one ever told me and I haven't ever been this far out of my kingdom."

"Not once? What about visiting other kingdoms?" Damien asks me.

"My parents never took me. They were the ones to go outside the kingdom." I explained.

"But the prince should go,as well." Damien says in disbelief. The prince should go as well. Technically it's required for the princes to go with the king and queen, when they leave the kingdom. But my parents never took me. They were worried about being powerful. Mainly my father, but my mother just went along with it as well.

"I know." That's all I could say. I was in shock by the truth around me. Why did my parents lie to me and say that everyone lived in the kingdoms? They would tell me that there are two classes: royals and non-royals. But they never mentioned anything about these people.

"Why don't we do something to get your mind off of them?" Damien asks me.

"Like what?" I look at him and ask.

"Well, this is the third time we have seen each other. Now we are going to go stop a criminal together. I think it's best to get to know each other."

"Well," I start off. "What would you like to know?"

"Hmm.." Damien stops for a moment. He must be thinking of something that could be good enough to ask me. "What was the relationship with your parents? You don't seem too pleased with them."

I let out a deep breath. "I don't have a good relationship with them. My father wanted to be powerful and spent all his time doing that. My mother just went along with it. I didn't really get the chance to have a mother and father and for them to teach me how to be a prince. One of my maids taught me everything. I am who I am today because of her."