For the People

You mustn't go against the law.

You must have a queen by your side in order to become king and to rule this kingdom.

You mustn't let your father down.

I wake up, panting, and sweat glistening on my face.

"Queen my ass," I say as I sigh and sit up.

Just as my heartbeat settles down and stops it's little dance in my chest, I hear a knock on the door and look to see a familiar female walk through the door.

"Mother," I say unenthusiastic and I tiredly get out of bed.

"I'm your mother," she says. "Can't you show a little more enthusiasm for the woman who gave birth to you?"

"Irene! Clothes!" I say, rubbing my eyes and ignoring my mother's words.

Irene is my best maid. She's shorter than me and has short, brown hair with brown eyes. She is 50 years old and she's a sweet lady, but she is not to be taken lightly. She comes rushing in not too long after I called for her.

"Yes, your majesty," she bows and gets my royal clothes from the closet.

"Oh come on, pump-"

"I told you for years not to call me pumpkin," I cut off my mother's words. "The king should not be called pumpkin by his mother." Irene finishes dressing me and bows before exiting my bedroom.

"You aren't the king yet, my son," she says softly. "You must attend your coronation first."

"I will attend and become King of Estora," I say, annoyed that I know where this is going.

"Not until you find yo-," my mother starts to say.

"What do you want?" I asked a little pissed off.

"I came here to discuss what you need to rehearse for The Royal Sapphire Ball. And so you can find your Sapphire Maiden," she says with a little giggle. She clears her throat as she can tell I am not amused by the name she has said. "I have a list of princesses that would be great for the throne."

"I told you, I'm not having a queen," I say as I finish getting ready to start my royal duties of the day and walk out of the room.

Just as I think the conversation is over, I hear footsteps hitting the floor and coming closer to me quickly. It was too good to be true.

"Indulf, you must follow your father's orders."

"That man is dead."

"That man raised you-"

"He didn't raise me," I say coldly as I turn around to face my mother. "Neither did you. I was raised by Irene. She is more of a mother and father than my parents ever were."

"We had to take care of the kingdom," she said with a hint of anger.

"You both ignored me when I would want to eat or play with you as a child. You just walked away and pretended I never existed. You cared about the kingdom more than your own son," I say before changing the subject. "I'm not having a queen. Love doesn't exist and I can rule on my own."