The Royal Sapphire Ball

"Welcome to The Royal Sapphire Ball!", exclaims the royal announcer. "Thank you all for coming to the extravagant ball, hosted by the future king of Estora, and birthday boy, Prince Indulf!"

The crowd claps as I walk out to the indoor balcony. I look out and see the sea of people all staring and smiling at me in my ballroom.

There are many different kingdoms and their officials that came to this royal ball. Are they here to try to get me to choose their princesses? It couldn't be because of my 19th birthday. They just want their daughters to be a part of the biggest and most powerful kingdom.

I scoff at the thought. So desperate to have their daughters become royal. They don't even care who they are sending them of to.

I smile for the people and say, "Good day to all! I'm very pleased to see so many royals and officials at my birthday party and ball! I hope you all enjoy your time here! Dance, socialize, eat, drink! Have fun!"

Once I see the people resume what they were doing, I walk out of the indoor balcony to walk down the ballroom's stairs to greet my guests, but I stop in my tracks when I see my mother and a girl.

I don't know who she is, but I had a feeling that what was about to happen was something I won't like. I sigh and walk to them. I smile and bow to the girl.

"M'lady," I say to the girl, before taking her hand and barely kissing her knuckles. I was always taught to be polite to the royals because they are important people. I never once saw my parents be polite to the general public when I was younger. But I wanted to be a different ruler. The general public mean just as much to me as the royals to, maybe even more than the royals. Regardless of who this girl was, rich, poor, royal, peasant, she was a person and I will still be kind to the people.

"Prince Indulf," she says with a smile as she does a curtsy. I let go of her hand and look at my parents.

"This is Cordelia, from the kingdom of Zoris," my mother begins to say.

"You are Ernest and Sophie's daughter. Ernest is the Duke of the kingdom," I say with a smile. She smiled and nodded back.

It's important to know who and what the other kingdoms are. It makes you seem like you know what you are doing and the people will want to listen to you more because it seems like you have an interest in what they have to offer.

"Indulf, would you be a gentleman and take Cordelia to the ballroom to dance with her?" says my mother while gesturing for us to go to the ballroom. I nod and hold out my arm for Cordelia to take. Once she does we walk to the ballroom staircase. I stop at the top of the stairs, overlooking the people dancing and enjoying themselves, because I feel Cordelia tighten her grip a little on my arm. I look over to her and I can tell she doesn't like large crowds. Sadly, all the attention is on her because she is with me.

"Don't pay attention to them," I whisper to her. She looks over to me and still looks as nervous as before. "Just look at me and shut everyone else out."

She nods and we both start our way down the stairs. Once we meet the bottom of the stairs, everyone parts to either side of the ballroom. We make it to the middle of ballroom and start slow dancing with her.

"Relax," I say reassuringly to her, as I can tell that she is uncomfortable. "Do you really want to have an arranged marriage with me?"