Camp Pebble

Every now and then at Camp Stone you would get one of those days. One of those days when you could get heat stroke ever so easily in the shade as you could in the blazing sun. David sat in his cabin exhausted and more than borderline distracted as he made up the schedule for the week. He knew he was falling behind. As much as he knew it wasn't fair to the staff he couldn't justify a way around it. The summer heat wave had made any preplanned activities impossible to run. David hadn't even left for breakfast before he knew it had ended. He merely sat in the cabin catching up on business emails. He never knew running a summer camp was this hard. Mr. Campbell never seemed to put any work into it. Of course now they knew how that turned out. Despite him and Gwen putting in their best efforts to keep Camp Campbell going, it just was never enough. Gwen was always smart. Part of him wished that she was here to help him run this place. She would've figured out their schedule dilemma a week ago. David hadn't even bothered to check the weather forecast. He should've learnt that lesson years ago. This was all on him now though. As much as he wished he still had her, he knew Gwen was surely enjoying a successful life somewhere, and wouldn't have time for the triviality of a summer camp anymore. The heat was weighing on him. Making him lose all of his focus and letting his thoughts drift places that they hadn't in years. It was nearly quarter after nine when he made a decision. The counselors would take the kids on a trek to Camp Pebble. The extension on Camp stone that was fully shaded on the other side of the river, and would serve as a perfect outback get away. A trustworthy plan that was guaranteed not to go wrong. He sent the plan and details to the paid staff and after sending one more thing, put his phone down with a sigh of relief. Finally caught up with work.  Maybe he'd actually get to meet the new hire before they left for the sub camp. Who's to say if he was hoping for too much.

Breakfast was small.  The result of not making enough cinnamon buns for everyone and having to cut them in half.  Not only small but they we're unfrosted to make clean up easier, leaving the lingering taste of cinnamon and lightly baked carbs in Gwen's mouth.  She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, and pulled it out hoping no one cared about her having it at work.  The email from the camp stone address explaining the game plan for the day was finally there.  The format looked rushed, but still understandable.  She baffled at how the camp director expected them to organize this with such little notice.  Admittedly there wasn't many other options in weather like this, past sitting in cabins and trying to cool off.  Before shutting her phone off she felt it vibrate again in her hand.  This time it was a text that came as a surprise, but a pleasant one at that.  New message from David Greenwood.  It was a simple 'Hey' followed by the question of how she's been lately.  She secretly loved that he still kept in touch after Camp Campbell shut down, even if it's been awhile since she last heard from him.

'Not completely terrible. I just started a new job. How are things going for you? Is Max still a little shit?'
She texted him back, getting a response almost immediately.

'Things are alright. Work has been a little stressful these last few days but it'll work itself out. Max is still Max. I hope the new job is going well'

Gwen was half way through reading the text when she was interrupted by a coworker sitting across from her.

"So who's got you smiling at your phone so much this morning?" Asked one of the cabin counselors. A younger guy with darker skin, brown hair and a slight accent she couldn't place.

Had Gwen been smiling to herself? She hadn't noticed. The comment caught her off guard, and tore her focus away from her phone.

"Nothing, sorry." She answered, not having a legitimate answer to give. The guy across from her smirked a little but didn't continue on the subject before standing up and checking the time.
"Well, it's 9 now. Let's get the kids ready for the trek." The counselor suggested, starting to pick up his dishes as Gwen followed suit.