Chapter 8: Decisions of the heart

The first few periods rush by in a haze of boredom and tiredness. I scribble in my notebook absently until I realize what I have been drawing. Written all over my math, in clean, tidy writing are the letters RCI. Over and over again. I blush deep red and rip the page out of my book quickly, not wanting anyone to see. I bite my lip. I have to make a decision- do I join this strange association that I’ve never heard of before, risk everything I have for this one distant desire, or do I continue my boring, normal, safe and completely unhappy life? I know I’ve already made the choice when Mrs. Kieke puts the exam paper that Jordan made for me before me. She gives me a huge smile.

“I had no idea, Jada. You must have studied your head off for this. Well anyway, your late-coming is excused after this. I know all too well how it is to fall asleep whilst studying. I had never dreamed that you would put so much effort into this.” I blush a deep red and take a look at the test. I probably should have read through the answers before handing in the papers- who know what Jordan wrote. But all my worries about what Jordan could possibly have put into the essay at the end of the paper evaporate when I see the mark on the last page. A+. I’ve never, never in my entire life, had a mark this good. A shiver runs down my back, as I open the paper and read the topic of the essay- the title reads: The new life. It’s about a girl who is recruited into the arm and finds her destiny there. It describes in detail the way her attitude, her character changes as her life turns for the better, and I have the strong feeling that Jordan is trying to tell me something with this. I read through the text once more and a phrase catches my eye- …mesmerized by the endless happiness that comes with striving forth, united as one towards a goal no less than the peak of highest perfection, I find beauty suddenly in the training not only of my body but my mind, my soul. I close my eyes for a moment as I remember the endless perfection of a room full of people, all in the flawless white uniform, moving as one, training their bodies to obey the orders from their minds, and pushing themselves past exhaustion with the strength of an elated soul. I feel my hands twitch as I remember the groups around the tables with the strange alien technology, and I long desperately to be part of those dances moving so graceful over the dance floor. I snap my eyes open. I have made my decision. I get up without asking the teacher whether or not I can leave the room and as I walk towards the halls to find Jordan, I can feel my heart beat faster and faster with the satisfaction of my decision. I want this, I want to be a part of this. I have never been so sure of anything in my life.