Chapter 13: Mystifying Mr, Jordan

I sit on a white sofa next to Jordan, the confusion and mixed feelings from earlier that day having past. My stomach is filled with the delicious meal I had in the Rec-Zone a few minutes earlier and I’m freshly showered. I’m wearing a new set of institute clothing and rolled up on the couch as I am I feel warm and fuzzy and safe. What Jordan calls the Rec-Zone is a huge area including a dining room that serves dishes more delicious than anything my mother has ever cooked; three huge lounge areas, each containing a cinema-sized TV screen and white couches arranged on uprising levels; bathrooms with bathtubs und showers all arranged in little cubicles and a beautiful library and study area. I am completely overwhelmed by the apparent show of splendor everywhere- from the luminescent walls to the shiny white tiling in the bathrooms, everything here seems to be clean and white and perfect, without a single imperfection, a single crack.

“How is this place funded?” I ask Jordan quietly. He gives me a tiny smile, his head cocked to the side.

“Why does that matter?” He asks, his gaze calculation. I immediately paddle back, scared that I’ve asked something inappropriate, something he isn’t allowed to share with me. Something that may lead to awkward silences and tension.

“Oh, I just… I was just wondering… I…” Jordan suddenly smiles.

“Don’t worry. You’re allowed to ask. We’re funded by prominent or influential members of the institution and… well other donors.” He gives me a strange smile, and I smile back.

“That’s amazing… this place must be huge, I mean I can’t imagine how many sponsors you would need to fund this kind of place.” Jordan gives me a strange look that end’s the topic on my lips.

A few moments later Kyle, the blond boy from my first class, walks in. Anna, the beautiful girl with the milky-blue eyes walks at his side, her arm slung tightly through his for guidance. Kyle smiles at me slightly as he walks in, and then guides Anna through the room to a couch across the circle from Jordan and me. I throw a glance at Jordan and am surprised to see him throw Kyle a bitter glance. Surprised and… intrigued. I touch Jordan’s arm and he turns around to face me, his expression instantly relaxing.

“Can I ask you a question, Jordan?” He cocks his head to the side and smiles slightly.

“Go ahead.”

“How long ago were you recruited?” A second of surprise shows on his face.

“Recruited?” He asks, grinning at me with a slightly confused expression.

“Yeah,” I turn to face him, pulling my legs closer to myself. “I mean you must have been like me. Someone must have approached you and recruited you right?” Jordan chuckles. “What?” I ask, feeling slightly unsure of myself- what if this is a topic like the sponsoring, one he doesn’t want to talk about? I don’t know why, but I’m suddenly terribly afraid I may be pushing him away with my ongoing questions.

“I wasn’t recruited.” Now it’s my turn to be confused. “My grandparents are institute founders, my parents were both born and raised within the institute walls, before they even started recruiting the way we do nowadays. I was born in the institute hospital, I went to kindergarten here. I went through school and training in different institutes all over the world. So when I turned 18, I didn’t have to think about whether or not I wanted to stay at the institute or leave. This was always the right way for me.” I stare at Jordan.

“So… so you never lived outside, you know, with a family.” Jordan smiles.

“No it’s not the way you think. You have seen only a fraction of what the institute has to offer. My family and I… we lived in one of the institutional settlements. I still own the house we used to live in. If you’d like… you know I could show you one day.” I smile at him.