5

Michelle threw her book back onto her desk, glancing up at the clock on the wall: it was 3 am.

"Fucking hell," she muttered under her breath while switching off the lamp at her desk. She stood up from the stool and flopped onto her bed, exhaling deeply.

She looked out her window, feeling a pang of sadness. She could picture Peter from weeks ago, around this time, climbing into her room and feeling joyous at the enormous jump he had done.

Michelle hadn't said anything to Peter for almost a week.

In that time, she had bought a large bottle of vodka from her shady neighbour to refill her flask - well, it was big for her. She read more books, worked, and ignored Peter's responses to her texts in the Academic Decathlon group chat, and the group chat with Ned.

It wasn't that Michelle was angry with Peter- she was mad at herself. She hated how she was. Was it possible to crawl into a hole, and isolate herself from everyone for all of eternity?

Of course, she couldn't do that, so this was her temporary solution: to shut herself out from Peter until he would eventually find better friends to lean on.

Michelle turned away from the window and shut her eyes, sighing as she tried to relax. After a few minutes, she could feel herself getting more and more sleepy, being drawn into a slumber.

Well, of course, Michelle has to be disturbed. A loud knock alerted her, and she saw a blurry figure outside her window. She rubbed her eyes and squinted, now being able to make out the vivid colours of Peter's suit.

Michelle sat up to unlock the window, her lips pursed into a sad smile. Peter came in, removing his super suit without a second thought, fully clothed underneath.

He sat down on the corner of the bed, far from Michelle, knowing she wanted space. It was silent, but their faces said enough.

Peter ran his hand through his hair, his expression one of guilt and sorrow.

"I have to admit, I don't know why you acted the way you did, but I do know that it was probably because of me. I'm an oblivious idiot, and I'm sorry about that. Even if it's not because of me, I should have taken notice. I should have been a better friend and not have flirted with that waitress. You know people don't usually flirt with me, I got excited. But, it wouldn't have worked out, given that..." he trailed off.

Michelle didn't have any reaction, causing Peter to sigh. "Yeah, sorry. I know you don't give a shit. But I am sorry. I promise I won't be such a bad friend again, and friends tell each other things. You say you don't get close to people, but you're one of my best friends, and that is compulsory."

Peter did a little grin, sticking his arms out. "Can we hug it out?" he hesitantly asked.

Michelle rolled her eyes, and Peter took that as a 'yes', Peter jumping at her with such glee and hugging her so tightly, that she felt like he had just crushed her upper body.

Peter was happy, and that was all she wanted for him to be. So instead of making a fuss, she accepted his apology and would think of an excuse later for being so moody. 

She couldn't tell Peter that her long-time infatuation with him was morphing into something else.

Michelle patted his back. "Alright, apology accepted, thanks so much, blah blah blah. Now let me go."

Peter was persistent, squeezing her shoulders even tighter.

"Peter fucking Parker, I know you're full of love and sweetness, but-" she pounded her fist against Peter's back as she struggled to breathe, "But you are unaware of your own strength, and my heart will explode if you do not let me go."