Suspended

Suspension. That's what we were facing right now. I along with Trent, Zea, Royce, and Travis were all facing a ten-day suspension from school for not being inside the building during the time we should have been. And it was all thanks to Trent. If he had woken me up the other day like he was supposed to then everything would be fine right now. But no, he had to let me sleep for half of the day and then go running away from the teacher when he told us to come inside. I suppose I was the stupid one for following him though, wasn't I? But what do you expect from me? I was panicking and had to make a quick decision. To my luck, my mind chose the stupid one and ran after Trent when I could have just gone straight to the office and gotten a detention instead of being suspended. I never in my life expected to get suspended from school. Apparently, my mom couldn't either once I brought home the letter explaining everything.

"Suspension!" My mother hollered at me in the living room, unable to believe her eyes when she looked at the pink sheet of paper held in her hands. "You got suspended! What do you have to say for yourself young lady?"

"Um…," I stuttered. Yeah brilliant. How the hell was I going to get myself out of this one? "It's not as bad as it sounds."

"Not as bad as it sounds!" she shouted, the paper literally shaking in her hands in fury as her face burned red with anger. "It says here that you skipped school and then ran off of school grounds after you were evidently told to go to the office!"

"Uhh…," I searched my brain for something intelligent to say. "They were…exaggerating that." At the furious look on her face I added, "I swear! Now would I lie to you?"

"Raina Johnson," she started in a deathly calm voice, her lips thin. "I don't know what has gotten into you lately, but whatever it is it needs to stop. This," she raised the pink piece of paper in her hand and jabbed it with her finger, "is very unlike you!"

"I think I know the reason for it," Mark strode in from the hallway. He took a bite from the apple he was holding in his hand. "It's that damn kid that she was tutoring, wasn't it Raina?" He looked at me for an answer.

"Why do you automatically assume it was because of him?" I grew annoyed. I was really beginning to become fed up with how people thought Trent was so terrible just because of the way he looked. Even though he was the reason for my suspension, I didn't like how Mark was jumping to conclusions so easily.

He didn't bother to answer and instead went on, "I don't really like that kid much. I think it best if you don't see much of him anymore from now on."

"But he's my friend!" I shouted in aggravation.

"I don't care what he is to you," Mark said hastily. "If he really is the one who helped to get you into trouble then you shouldn't be acquainted with him anymore."

"Now Mark," my mom stated calmly. "He's a very nice boy. I don't think it's right to just not allow her to see him anymore."

"And there's still the tutoring lessons," I added hopefully.

"Yeah well I don't care how nice he is or how much he needs lessons from you," Mark glowered. "You're not to speak to him anymore."

I stared at him, infuriated.

"What the fuck is it with you!" I screamed in anger. "You think you can just waltz into my life and order me around like this! You're not even my father!"

"Raina!" my mom gasped, unable to believe her ears. Now I usually don't ever swear or act like this in front of my mother, but I was too angry and furious right now to even care. With one last glare at Mark, I turned around and ran for the stairs. I could hear them both calling after me, but I ignored them and didn't stop until I reached my room. Slamming the door, I locked it.I then jumped onto my bed and buried my face into the pillow, screaming at the top of my lungs, letting out all the anger that was built up inside me.