~Chapter 1: We have to Change Things~

It's been nine years since you took him.

You haven't shown up at the barrier since. I would've known.

I go there every day hoping you'll hypnotize me too and I can be with him. I don't care what happens to me, I just want to be with him.

However, that doesn't mean other kids haven't disappeared. You took away Tenko just a couple months ago. Himiko and Tenko's parents fell in despair.

Why do we even bother?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My alarm clock woke me up. It was another day. It has been long since Kokichi was gone. Rest of the group were using different coping mechanisms when it came to Junko's kidnappings. Denial, emotional instability, facing the reality and moping. It was all there. A lot of the students from our and other classes disappeared since Ouma has. Peko, Nagito, Mikan and younger kids. Kotoko, Nagisa, and Monaca were also nowhere to be found.

Theories and rumors sparked that the witch used Ouma's soul to revamp her powers and now had full control over the forest and the power to bring kids from their houses directly. I didn't want to believe she killed them. And I didn't think she did.

 I got up and got dressed and ready for school. My looks have certainly decreased. My hair was always a mess and dark circles under my eyes were a norm. But I didn't care. I just wanted him back.

Heh, It's funny. I noticed how much he really meant to me when he disappeared. I noticed how much I... I loved him. He was so close to me. And I was too young to notice that

I walked up to the dresser. I still had the long checkered scarf he used to wear. It was too big for him back then. He looked cute walking around with a scarf covering basically half of his face. But I'm sure I'd look good on him now...that is if he was around. In whatever circumstance, I wore it all the time. And today was no exception. It still reminded me of him. I wrapped it around my neck, grabbed my bag and went outside. I noticed my friends were all walking down the street, except Rantaro. She noticed me when I closed the door behind me 

"Good morning Shuichi!" Kaede said waving her hand. I waved back, a faint smile on my face. I came up and joined them. "Where's Rantaro?" I asked as I looked around. Maki sighed before explaining "He's still mourning over his little sister, Natsuki. You know because of..." "Yeah, I know" I answered quickly. Maki was one of the few people who was able to deal with the reality of the situation. She knew what was going on and embraced it properly. Like me. We all walked when suddenly Tsumugi ran past us, crying waterfalls of tears. She was a mess.

"Tsumugi! What's wrong?" Kaede asked, her voice worried, but Tsumugi didn't hear her. She just picked up her pace and ran down the street to school. We all looked at each other. "Well, that was...something. " Kaito said awkwardly. We continued walking to school and talked about various things. I had a bad feeling. What was that made Tsumugi upset?

 Why was she crying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

We went to school, forgetting about what we just witnessed. We'd ask Tsumugi about it later. We all sat under the oak tree in the courtyard. It was our spot when we hanged out. Suddenly we heard a rude voice call out

"Hiya, fuckers did ya miss me!" Miu said coming up to us and sitting down. "Miu, we talked about this. Less cursing! And you were doing so well yesterday!" Kaede pouted "But I still love you~. " she said as she kissed Iruma on the cheek. Kaede and Miu have been dating for over a month. I'd say Kaede was a good influence on her. "Hell yeah, you do! Who wouldn't love a fucking gorgeous inventor like me!" Miu laughed.