Confusion

Love is a crazy thing.

It can make you do things you never thought you would do.

It can make you lose your mind.

Or it can be satisfying.

Love is as bad as hate, greed, lust—all of them.

Love is the cause of all of our problems. If we didn't love each other there wouldn't be a problem.

I feel warm, and I thank the sunshine pouring through the window for that gift. It was a good time throwing insults last night but now I feel like shit. I feel guilty.

It wasn't my goal to get under his skin. It was a natural defense mechanism. I wanted him to see that not everyone followed Carlo's rules. I can't help wanting to be the person who opens his eyes.

But what I want and what Evan wants are so different. I don't know what to do.

I roll over refusing to get out of bed. He's not in bed, and I don't feel like taking on yet another day. How does someone stay happy under the circumstances?

If I want to be with Evan these are things I need to learn to deal with. And to make it work I can't upset his family.

The doorbell chimes and I slide off our expensive sheets and make my way around the overstuffed chair. I'm sure it's the maid. Maybe she forgot her key like she does just about every day of the week.

I cover myself the best I can in my t-shirt. It's not the maid. It's Mark and I am not decent by any means of the word.

"I thought you were the maid," I tell him, tugging the t-shirt as low as I can manage to get it.

He shakes his head, keeping his eyes on mine. "I hear they don't get paid well. But if this is the way they get greeted I may consider it." He touches my arm.

I force a smile. I want to crawl under the table and die.

"I'll be right back." I hurry to my bedroom, and rattle the hangers in search of something to throw on. God, out of all days to be caught almost naked it had to be the one day his brother decides to show up.

I push aside the embarrassment and head back into the kitchen.

"Evan's not home?" he asks, watching me pull my hair into a bun.

I shrug. "I'm not sure where he is."

"Everything alright?" He hands me a cup of coffee. It's warm and rather thoughtful after what happened.

"I guess," I say, taking a sip.

"That doesn't sound too good."

I'm not sure if telling Mark anything is a good idea. "We had an argument."

"It'll work out," he says. He sits down.

I wonder what he gets out of being Carlo's spy. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You wouldn't have said anything to your father about me?" I ask.

"What would I have to say to him that he doesn't already know?" he says, running a hand over his chin.

"I don't know. I would hope nothing." He isn't willing to say much, which in his family is pretty typical.

"If you don't want Carlo to find out, then don't do it. That's the only advice I can give you."

I fidget with the straps of my sundress, and put my coffee cup on the counter.

When I turn around Mark is right behind me.

"Gees, you scared me," I say, looking around the kitchen trying to control my nerves.

"Did I?"

I ignore the blue eyes and concentrate on the fact that one of his teeth is chipped. And how just below his perfect head of hair is a scar on his forehead. I have to remind myself that Mark isn't who I think he is.

"Just a little," I admit, looking away. I open the refrigerator.

"I'm sorry. Maybe I should go." Mark puts his coffee cup in the sink.

I take some grapes from the refrigerator and shut the door. "Sorry. I have a lot on my mind."

Mark adjusts my dress strap; his fingers graze my shoulder and make goose bumps. I back away, disturbed by his touch.

"Did I offend you?" he asks, biting his lip. "I always notice the littlest things. Ask Journey I do it to her all the time." He laughs trying to brush the awkwardness of his hands under the rug.

"It's no big deal. I really have a lot going on today. I'll tell Evan you stopped by." I turn away.

Mark shakes his head. "Yeah, tell him I'll stop by tomorrow."

I lift one of the dishes out of the sink starting the water. "I will."

"I'll talk to you later. Don't worry about the little things. Evan loves you and that's all that matters." Mark leaves.

I am a little worried about Mark and his touch. Now that I know Evan I understand the difference in touches. And this touch was not a normal one.

I hope it's nothing more than paranoia. I don't want to think I have any more to add to my large stack of Grim Reaper problems.