Relief

And when I open my eyes he's there and it feels like all the pieces fall back into place. I can breathe again.

"Hey."

I smile at the sight of him and grab his face. I kiss him. He lies down next to me and wraps me in his arms.

"Were you going crazy?" he asks. He smooths my hair.

"That's all I did," I admit.

"I'm here now. So you can stop worrying."

We kiss again.

"I can't believe your back."

"I'm back and I'm exhausted so let's go to sleep," he lets me rest my head on his chest.

"What happened?" I ask, trailing my fingers against his shirt buttons. He isn't sick anymore. And he doesn't have a scratch on him.

"When my dad feels like he is losing control he has to prove he can get it back," Evan explains to me.

"I'm glad you didn't come back looking like Kenny," I confess. I don't know if I could handle that.

"He knew he couldn't break me," Evan says with a smile.

I raise an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

Evan explains something to me I don't think I ever thought I would hear. "Carlo's biggest flaw is feeling like a failure. Carlo was left on the side of the road when he was younger. When it was his time to die he didn't make it where he needed to go. And I think he's resentful of that."

I don't really understand. "I don't get it."

Evan pats my hand. "Death is a lot more complicated then you and I will ever know. When it's time to die your taken from this life and escorted to the next, let's just say Carlo's trip didn't end well."

He was abandoned. "What does that mean? If Carlo was supposed to die why is he still here ruining everyone's lives?"

"Because he's angry, and what better way to deal with anger then do the exact same thing to everyone else?"

I swallow. "And you and your brothers, all these years have been forced to be a part of it."

Evan nods. "But I think today my father realized he is losing control. He just doesn't know what to do about it yet."

"Answer one more thing please?" I say.

"What's that?"

"What would it take to get away from Carlo for good?" I wait for an answer.

"I have no idea," he says kissing my cheek. "I really don't."