dungeons and dragons

hawkins, indiana
november 7th, 1986

"it's sharp teeth digs into your skin and rips you apart." says lucas. the boys are playing dungeons and dragons, a game they played since they were kids. they haven't played in almost a year now, because they were more into arcade games. two boys actually partly
forgot how to play the game due to not playing in a while.

"why does this always happen to me" dustin sighs. "party defeated". he closes the book.

"that's all on you, dusty" mike says and pats dustin's back. lucas and will giggle a little.

"i told you to stop calling me that!" dustin says and pushes mike off his chair.

will watches mike. he watches how his eyes light up whenever he's around his friends. will is gay, and he knows it, but he's not being honest with himself. he's confused.

somehow this turns into a tickle fight and will stands there watching them and giggling. "guys jonathan is here." will says. they don't hear him so he says it a little louder. they don't hear him he second time either so he heads upstairs instead of trying to get their attention.

halfway up the stairs, will hears nancy and jonathan talking. it's very quiet, but just loud enough for the boy to figure out what they were saying.

"i got you something." nancy says to jonathan

"wow nancy i don't even know how to thank you!" jonathan replies

will can't hear anything so he assumes they're done talking. the boy opens the door and walks to the living room to see his brother and nancy making out on the couch.

"guys!" will yells

"oh my gosh" nancy says and gets off the couch and walks over to will.

"jonathan.." will can't finish his sentence and he storms out of the wheeler's home to the back of jonathan's small car and jonathan follows.

will sits in the back and he looks out the window trying to avoid talking to his brother.

"dude what is up with you?" jonathan turns around and asks will.

"are you guys dating now?" will asks instead of answering his older brother's question.

"what? no no. it's not like that." jonathan says.

"really? then what's in the box." will looks at the box and then at his brother.

"oh.. don't worry about it. it means nothing. and why are you angry about it anyway?" jonathan asks.

will has to think about it. he really doesn't know why he's angry about it. there's no reason. or that's what will thought.

"just keep driving!" will yells. "i-i'm sorry i didn't mean to raise my voice."

jonathan smiles and shakes his head. "it's okay."

will looks out the window and watches the raindrops on the window run down the glass.

when the two brothers get home, will runs to his room and shuts his door. he can feel tears in his eyes. he doesn't even know why.

will flops onto his bed and tries to fall asleep but he can't. all he can think about is why he acted up the way he did.

then all of a sudden the door clicks and will jumps a little.

"hey buddy" joyce says to her son.

will gets up and hugs his mother.

"night mom." will says

"sleep well." joyce replies