Ice cream Truck

The following story was edited and published in July-August of 2018, though for a period of time this and several other books were privated I thought that some of you if you happen to remember them might've enjoyed their return. This was a very formative period for my writing abilities and such an enjoyable one thanks to all the support you guys gave me. Thank you x

A cheerful jingle echoed throughout the hot neighborhood.

Adam stopped in his tracks, puzzling the tall dirty blonde next to him. He stood up from his small orange chair, "I'll be right back.

The ice cream truck was a perfect excuse to leave and recollect Adam's confusing, and a little more overwhelming than anything, thoughts about his friend. He approached the truck with the knowledge that he had to get James something, despite not hearing him ask. Upon looking at the menu Adam realized that he wouldn't have enough for two cones.

A cone must be sacrificed, and Adam figured it was only the nice thing to do if he gave the cone he could buy to James.

When the ice cream man gave him James's cone, Adam realized why each one was so expensive.
It's huge!
Well, Adam sure hoped he likes vanilla.

"Oh hey, welcome back." James turned in Adam's direction with a smile that just about gave him a cavity.

"So I got you vanilla because you're boring." Adam quickly averted his gaze to the floor as he handed James the colossal ice cream cone.

James narrowed his eyes with a cross response, "Hey! I'm interesting, I'm cool, I'm--hip." by the time he'd finished his sentence he must have realized how futile it all was and to just eat the ice cream.

But as Adam sat down beside him, the blonde's adorable chocolatey gaze lit up as the realization that Adam was ice cream-less hit him.

"Why don't you have one?" he asked.

"Oh, I just don't have enough for two." Adam explained.

"Oh, well, do you wanna share?"

His sugary stare met his, melting Adam's heart, he nodded with a slight stutter that he'd eternally regret, "Sure."

Adam had conveniently forgotten to retrieve spoons for them, and no matter how much he refused to admit it, he intentionally licked where James had before he'd passed the cone to him. He continued to do this until Adam had caught an awkward side glance from James.

James said nothing, but he didn't have to. Adam wanted to explain himself, but figured that anything he said would only dig his hole deeper.

The scorching afternoon slowly passed, the ice cream incident couldn't manage to leave Adam's mind. Eventually as Adam quietly sat on James's couch, contemplating every decision he's ever made, James piped up.

"Hey, wanna watch a movie?"

"Okay." Adam nodded.

"Here, you pick." James gestured for him to come closer to the DVD rack beside the TV in front of him.

Adam obliged, scanning the rack. He pulled out a movie that looked brand new, as if it were simply hidden away in the rack, never intended to have been watched.