The Dog

Early every morning, Adam walks to a park with a package of lunch meat. He searched the park far and wide for the little brown dog he always sees rummaging through the trashcans. Eventually, it runs up to him as he sits down on a bench. Adam opens up the package, giving the small dog a slice, "Hey, buddy." he smiled. The dog happily licked his hand after Adam gave him another slice. A light breeze floated through the air, Adam sighed, feeling guilty that he couldn't take the dog home with him. At least he could do something for it by giving it a little food, Adam gently patted the dog's head before getting up to go back home. He had to reluctantly shoo him away, so he didn't follow him all the way home, which always broke Adam's heart no matter how many times he had to do it. Once he'd reached his front door, a pang of guilt hit him a little harder today before he could open it. Before he knew it he was heading back to the park, with one plan, to take this dog home with him even if he'd get in trouble with his landlord. He didn't care; this poor little dog wasn't going to die of a heatstroke. His thick fur surely feels terrible this time of year. Lunch meat still in hand, Adam stepped into the park, scanning for the pup. Soon enough, he found him, but to his surprise, the lonely dog had company. That company also happened to be James, inviting him to sit next to him on the bench Adam had sat on formerly. Adam stood there across the park, staring at James as he gave the little dog pieces of ham and let him lick peanut butter off a spoon. He was beating him at his own pup feeding game, and Adam loved it. After staring in James's direction for long enough, Adam decided to approach him. As he neared the tall dirty blonde, he heard James refer to the pup with a name, "Fudge." That's an adorable name, of course he'd think of it. Adam eventually decide to wave, speaking up, "Hey James." He smiled coolly. James looked away from Fudge, Adam noticing his eyes wander to his hand which still held the lunch meat; he seemed a little surprised, but smiled, "Hey." Fudge turned towards Adam, rushing over to him. "You feed him too?" Adam asked. James nodded, "Yeah, every morning." Every morning he does this too? Adam couldn't help but allow his admiration for his adorable friend to spike, even if he was essentially doing the exact same thing. "Wow, that's really cool." Adam accidentally spoke a little too affectionately, causing James to look up at him, "-Since, you know, the dog doesn't even have a home. I'm glad it's getting fed." By now the dog is happily running around, overjoyed that now both of his parents are here at once. James paused, staring into Adam's eyes studiously, as if he were searching for something, but quickly sat back with a grin, "Yeah, it is pretty great." "I was, even thinking about taking it home today. It's getting way too hot for a fluffy little dog to be out here." Adam knelt down, petting Fudge, "That's a great idea, here, stay with him for a while? I'm gonna go get something." James stood up, rushing out of sight.

Eventually, the cuddly blonde had returned with a leash and collar, "Where did you go?" Adam asked, "Pet store." James replied, panting, "That's like almost across town, did you drive or something?" Adam stared at him, "No? Anyway, here." James handed the collar over, and before the two of them knew it they were on their way to Adam's house with a new dog. After they crossed a few streets, something seemed to suddenly cross James's mind, "Wait, aren't you not allowed to have pets?" he asked, "Yep, but this little dog is going to have to be an exception." Adam replied confidently, "Ah, alright then." James chuckled softly. They eventually arrived at Adam's house; Adam unlocked the door, letting in his new dog and James, who hurled himself onto his couch.

James had offered to go out and buy everything Adam needed for his new puppy friend, and as much as Adam insisted he'd get it himself, there was no swaying James today. As Adam sat on the couch, allowing Fudge to explore his home, his thoughts always managed to end up being about James. The fact that he'd been feeding Fudge every day as well surprised him, but more than anything it just made him feel really good. Not only did James manage to out-do him at feeding the little pup, but he's bought just about everything it needs so far, or is going out to buy it. Why does he have to be so nice? As Adam stared off into the unknown, wholesome thoughts swelling his mind, the front door opened. James had returned with a mountain of bags, he set them down, explaining what each thing was, and how to use it, or just a bunch of toys and a good bed. Once Fudge was all set, the three of them decided to take a walk. They quickly regretted it as hours passed, the temperature rising to ungodly numbers. Adam figured that they'd achieve some sort of relief by sitting in the shade outside the yogurt shop not too far from his house. As they sat, James brought out a couple small cups of yogurt from the shop. He gave Adam chocolate, his favorite, which only made him even more frustrated. He was too nice, he had to stop. The afternoon slowly passed, the decision to head back home was made. Their conversations stayed solely on Fudge, causing Adam to realize how much James truly adored this dog. Adam dared not stop James from raving on about him and his true adoration for dogs in general. How did this man manage to make Adam's heart soar like this just by talking about dogs and giving him yogurt? It might have just been the sincerity in his words and actions; nonetheless it was hard for Adam to contain himself from expressing how much he absolutely loved it. So he didn't say much, allowing James to talk away. As they reached Adam's front door again, he opened the door, letting Fudge into the nice air conditioned house. Before Adam could step inside himself, James asked him a question, "So, what are you going to name him?" Adam hesitated a little, he'd just grown used to subconsciously calling him Fudge, "Well, you see..." He fumbled with his words, searching for something that wouldn't make him sound like a stalker, "When I was walking in the park I overheard you talking to him, you called him Fudge and I just really liked it, it's really cute." But even then the sentence sounded wrong, "I mean-the name! The name is really cute. I figured that he should just go by that." Adam added quickly. He could feel the blush spread across his face, why did he have to word it like that? James smiled, "You look a little red there." "-It's cold." "Adam, it's a hundred degrees out."