Chapter 49: Lost

Macks was nowhere to be seen in the morning.

"He said he had some things to do," Suzanne told her over breakfast. "He wouldn't tell me what though."

"That's just like him," Mrs. Droy added, shaking her head.

Hannah said nothing, though she was irritated. Why had Macks not said anything? She didn't like being left alone with Suzanne and his family. She felt like an outsider who was not supposed to be there, living in their massive house, eating their fine food.

"I wonder if he wrote to Ruth."

"Knowing him, I doubt so."

"Perhaps I should do it then."

After breakfast, Hannah started to leave when Suzanne called to her. "Hannah, I'm just going to go write to Ruth in the study, but I was wondering if you would sit with me for awhile?"

"Oh," she went, unable to hide her surprise. "Alright."

She followed the taller woman to the back of the house, thinking that Suzanne seemed as comfortable moving around the Droy home as if she was one of them.

They came to the study, a somber, circular room with books along the curved walls, on either side of a large window looking out into the grounds. Hannah's gaze fell on the lengthy desk in the center of the room, laden with a mess of papers and stationery.

"Does Macks come in here very much?" she asked.

"Only when he has to. And it's the same with Mr. Droy." She took one of the two chairs, helping herself to some sheets of paper. "You can tell he's not a very neat man. Go on, sit down."

Hannah went to the other side of the table, taking a seat. She couldn't help getting the odd feeling like they were about to have a very serious discussion. "Is everything alright?" she started.

"I'm not sure. Is it, Hannah?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean between you and Macks."

She stared across the desk at her, a little taken aback. "I'm sorry?"

"Before anything else, you should know that I only want to help," Suzanne said, even as she started writing, keeping her eyes on the page. "I've known Macks for many years, so I know him as well as anyone."

"Really," she answered, finding it hard to keep her voice even.

"We were quite surprised that he brought you here to Dyon. I know it may seem to you that he is serious, but this is just how Macks is. It does not mean what you think it does. I am sorry. I know this is difficult to hear, but I don't want you hoping for something that will never be."

"Hmm. And just what is it you think I should do?"

"Keep away from him. Once you return to Chell, do not see him, do not talk to him. And just wait, wait for him to lose interest and move on to someone else, so you can look for someone who is serious about the attentions he gives you."

Right then, Hannah understood. Suzanne thought that Hannah was the one who fancied him. Of course, that would make sense, but still, she couldn't help feeling insulted.

"You have it all wrong, Suzanne."

This time, Suzanne looked up in surprise.

"I told you, I came on this journey to see Alyssa, nothing more."

"Come now. We can all see that you like him."

She stared at the older woman in angry disbelief for a moment, before rising to her feet.