Medusa

The girl was supposed to be here by now. Had she gotten lost? She couldn't have. They all knew where Medusa's cave was. Enough of them had come.

Athena, damn her, had told her a girl would save her from this eternal hell she was stuck in. 

Medusa desperately prayed to the gods that this girl would be the one. She had to be.

A thousand years of this hell should be punishment enough. Her fling with Poseidon hadn't been worth the punishment. She hadn't even liked him. She was just trying to fix herself. And to throw salt in the wound, Poseidon had gotten off scotch free.

A meek knocking sound from by the entrance of the cave pulled Medusa from her self pity. Medusa rose, straightening her chiton.

"Smile, please. If you turn to stone, I want you to at least look nice," Medusa called to the entrance, where she knew the girl was standing.

Medusa stepped around the bend and turned to look at the girl. The girl looked back.

She wasn't turned to stone. She stood there, human as ever, beads of sweat above her brow. Medusa turned her eyes to meet the girl's and saw the the warm brown of her irises were clouded with white, and her stare was vacant. She was blind.

Medusa's eyes swept over the girl. She couldn't be more than sixteen, the same age she'd been before her curse. Medusa's breath hitched as she stated at the girl's soft lips, and olive skin. It had been centuries since she'd seen a living human.

"Why am I not dead? Aren't you looking at me?" the girl asked, her voice wavering with fear.

Medusa felt a wave of shame wash over her. She hadn't remembered how it felt to make someone upset. She hadn't had time to see how her other victims reacted. They'd died too soon.

"I am looking at you. Apparently you're immune to my glare. You're blind."

"I hadn't noticed," the girl sarcastically replied.