A Best Friend's Duty

Malia hadn't said anything when she first arrived at Kira's house. Her body laid on the sofa of her best friend's apartment. Her eyes focused on the ceiling with a heaving chest and the loud groan and the temper tamper that followed shortly after.

Kira having watched the entire scene, says nothing at first already preparing herself to listen to the other women vent. Quickly going to the wine cabinet, she pulls out an bottle, a smile gracing her lips as it was her favorite time of day.

Drinking time.
Today's time: 5:36 pm

She pours a glass and makes her way over to the doctor with the rest of the bottle in her other hand. Placing the glass down next to Malia, she takes a seat in the loveseat facing her and taking a swig of the bottle before starting "So... how's McHottie?"

"Ethan" Malia still sounded numb. No life evident in her voice she stayed still and gave no further context to her words. "What? No I meant Scott" Kira says confused, she had known the girl since high school and she had never heard of an Ethan.

"I saved his life and the first word he says is Ethan" Malia continued, even though she knew she shouldn't have been disappointed, she was. They had looked into each other's eyes. She had been the first thing he'd seen when he woke up. Malia could even swear that she had seen a tear fall from the broken soldier's eyes.

She saw the emotion, and then it was ripped away just like that. He had glanced at his surroundings and then to his left side. Then the dreaded name, she had no idea why it bothered her so much, especially since it was the person whom she had chosen to forget.

"You seem disappointed, you weren't expecting a "I'm still in love with you" or something like that were you? Kira asked, she tried not to seem to interested but honestly she wanted to tease a little. Of course after all this time she had noticed her best friend's lack of interest in anything... male, except for her son obviously but she hadn't expected her to still be getting so worked up over a high school love.

"Kira please, I'm completely 100% over Scott McCall". Malia had finally looked at Kira and found herself immediately regretting it when she saw the smug look on her best friend's face. With another loud groan she forcefully smashed her head back into the pillow before mumbling, "75%".

Kira didn't push it, opting to move on to something lighter. Something to make Malia laugh, she thought she'd give her this one since she was having a rough day. "Right... so onto more important things, I need surgery. I've just been getting dumber since your son has got here. I've changed my damn phone password eight times and my brain won't let me remember".

With a chuckle Malia got up and headed to the door, turning around with a smile to face Kira she joked, "Sorry Kira, even doctors can't fix that kind of stupidity, you're out of luck".

Usually Kira would say something smart back but this time she only laughed and stuck out her tongue. She saw the look in her best friend's eyes and she knew this was only the beginning. She could only hope that when it was over that the surgeon could repair her own heart or the soldier would finally come and protect it.