SCENE THREE

The scene takes place in the office again. MARIA, KELLY, GEORGE, and PRIA start onstage. MARIA is addressing her workers.

MARIA
Remember, I need this building clear at five so the renovations can be completed. By tomorrow, we'll have a whole new office. 

KELLY
You're not at all concerned about the ventilation? 

MARIA
Enough about the ventilation, Kelly! No one cares what your high school science teacher thinks; this is the real world. 

(A VERY AWKWARD SILENCE FOLLOWS.)

That was a joke! Of course your concerns have been heard and noted. But I know exactly what I'm doing.

PRIA
But what about the fact that you need a key to use the fire exit. From the inside. Isn't that a huge safety violation?

MARIA
Nonsense! They specifically told me it would increase safety. 

GEORGE
Can anyone use the dance studio?

(KELLY SHOOTS HIM A LOOK.)

What? I like to dance, okay?

MARIA
Finally! A good question! Thank you, George. Yes, anyone can use the dance studio, provided they are not behind on any work. 

(GEORGE IS EXCITED, HE FISTPUMPS IN THE AIR OR SOMETHING). 

MARIA
Now! Let's get this place spic and span!

(SHE EXITS, SMILING SMUGLY.) 

(THE WORKERS WATCH HER GO, THEN START THEIR OWN CONVERSATION.)

GEORGE
And when we're done, we can all go dancing!

PRIA
This building is a death trap. 

(KELLY NODS IN AGREEMENT.) 

GEORGE
I figured that out when she hired a design company that couldn't properly spell design. Might as well have fun with it.