0.1

*year 2011*

sage

he was just an outcast. he didn't have any friends, really. but thats because he just moved here. he was the new kid, and i kinda felt bad for him. he doesn't have any friends and i know what's it like being the new kid at school.

i was in like third grade and it was a little easier back then because no one cared much but still. i know what he's feeling.

calum

it was lunch time at a brand new school. don't know anyone here.

great. this is not gonna be awkward at all.

i went outside to sit at on of the tables on campus. i pulled out my lunch and began eating.

since no one was sitting with me, i decided to people watch.

i notice that everyone is pretty much segregated onto groups. there's the jocks, the cool kids, the nerds.

and then there's me, the new kid. who nobody knows just yet.

after about ten minutes of eating by myself, this girl walks up to me and sits down across from me.

"hi, i'm sage." she said with a small smile as she held out her hand for me to shake.

"hi, i'm calum." i spoke, shaking her hand and giving her a small smile.

"wanna sit with us?" she offered, gesturing to her table a few feet behind us.

"yeah, why not? i don't know anyone here so, i might as well try and meet new people right?" i chuckled as i gathered my things and moved to the other table.

"guys, this is calum." sage gestured to the group.

"and calum, this is luke, michael, ashton and skye." she introduced as she pointed to each person at the table as they all smiled at me.

a chorus of 'hi's, 'hey's and 'nice to meet you's go around the table.

"so calum, tell us a little bit about yourself." sage said, turning to me slightly while taking a sip of her drink.

"what is this? a first date? 'oh tell me a little bit about yourself' what the fuck?" luke mocked, changing his voice so he sounded like a girl.

"i like long walks to the beach. i'm single and ready to mingle!" skye joined in, using her valley girl voice and flipping her hair.

"guys, shut up." sage chuckles, looking away for a few seconds but putting her attention on me afterwards.

"sooo.....?" sage said as raised her eyebrows, waiting for me to say something.

"oh! okay, uhhh, i play football, i have a sister, and i love mayday parade." i ramble, listing random things because i didn't know what to say.

we continued our conversation as everyone else had their side conversations.

"i moved here from a couple towns over, my mom got a moved to a new location so, we had to move." i added.

"oooh, that's cool. how do you like it here so far?" she nodded.

"ehhh, i mean it's only my first day but i like it here so far. everyone's been nice to me so far."

"well, that's only because you're new. the more you're here, the more you can see how nasty people actually are." sage informed me.

"huh." i said, in thought.

"what a-" sage began to say before she got interrupted by skye.

"guys, what time do we gotta be at your place tonight?" skye asked, tapping the table repeatedly to get everyone's attention.

"what for?" i asked confused, looking around the table.

"band practice, they want us to listen to them and give them feedback and stuff." skye explained.

"so, what time?" skye asked again, slightly vetting impatient.

"practice is at 6, skye." ashton replied to her, not even looking up from his phone.

"alright, who's house?" sage asks, now turning to the rest of the group, leaning on the table.

"mine." michael speaks up, raising his hand a little.

"calum, since you're new here and everything, wanna come to practice? we can pick you up and stuff." skye says with her eyebrows slightly raised.

"yeah, sure. i'll come." i said with a small smile on my face.

//xx//

it was 6:05, skye and sage should be coming to pick me up any moment now.

i was scrolling through instagram when all of a sudden, i hear a car horn beep outside my house.

they must be here.

"BYE MOM, I'M GONNA HANG OUT WITH SOME PEOPLE AT SCHOOL." i yelled.

"OKAY, BE SAFE BABY, LOVE YOU." she yelled back.

"LOVE YOU TOO." i exclaimed as i walked out the door and into the car.

"hey!" they greeted me when i got into the car.

"hey." i said as i put my seatbelt on and we drove off.

the rest of the car ride was just small talk.

once we got to michael's house, we went straight to his basement.

"so do you guys have any new songs?" sky asked as she flopped on the sofa.

"yeah, we're working on some stuff but none of them are finished yet" he said, grabbing his guitar from the stand and letting it hang across his body.

"wanna show us what you've been working on?" sage said, taking a seat next to sky as i followed.

"uhh, yeah sure. i think we have a couple of songs that are finished." ashton said, while him and the rest of the boys set things up for practice.

"play it." sage demanded.

"we will, just wait a moment." luke said, finishing up tuning his guitar.

"okay, this is called i've got this friend" luke announced a few minutes later and started strumming his guitar to the beat and started to sing.

"can i have a minute?

i've gotta tell you something

i heard that someone likes you

and it might be nothing but he's right in front of you."

//xx//

a/n: okay, so i thought i would put the flashback on how things came to be in two(?) parts just because i thought it would be too long lmao. but i hope you really like the first chapter of support system!

comment what you guys think and i'm really sorry for the wait !

xoxo

- a