Chapter 4

Alice ran up to Lync-who was now holding his bleeding nose on the ground- and helped him up.

"We need to get you to a doctor." Alice noted.

Lync scrambled up, brushing off her helping hand, claiming he was fine. Blood was dripping on his shirt. He looked past Alice and glared straight at Shun.

"You're just jealous that I get to go to the dance with Alice." Lync spat from being her. Shun stayed quiet but Alice could she the anger burning in his eyes and his fists clenched tightly as he stared at Lync.

"You shouldn't have lied about Alice." Shun retorted. Alice's eyes shot towards Lync.

"What did you say about me?" she demanded. Lync's eyes widened.

"N-nothing. I didn't say-"

"Lync started bragging to his friends about how you almost 'fainted' when he asked you to the dance. And how you hugged him after you said yes. And how you so desperately wanted him to ask you to the dance too."

Alice could feel anger starting to burn inside of her. She couldn't believe Lync said that! She was just being nice. And was not at all desperate. She felt the urge to slap him but managed to stay calm.

"How could you say that?" she said angrily.

"Alice, I-" Ace started.

"We're not going to the dance together anymore." Alice was shocked at how smooth her voice came out. She turned away and continued walking out the front door. Tears of frustration and anger fell from her eyes but she didn't dare let Lync or Shun see them.

"Alice! Alice, wait!" She could hear both of them call. She started to run although the tears blurred her vision and couldn't see, resulting her on tripping on a rock. Before she felt the impact of the ground, a strong pair of arms wrapped around her and caught her. She looked up and saw Shun staring at her with care. He brushed a strand of hair that fell over her face and held her tear-stricken face in his hands. She felt like he almost wanted to kiss her. But he didn't. He didn't say anything either. So she buried her head in his neck and wrapped her arms around him. She felt his strong arms wrap around her waist. She felt... safe. And protected by him. And comfortable. Eventually, reluctantly, she let go of him and wiped her tears away.

"Thanks." She said weakly, "For punching him."

Shun smiled a bit. "He had it coming."

Alice laughed. She knew her eyes were puffy and her face was flushed red, but Shun didn't seem to care. He wrapped his arms around Alice again, and they stood there together.

"Why did you do it?" Alice asked. She couldn't help it. He could've just ignored Lync, but he didn't. Usually his emotions are always in check. She's never seen Shun like that before.

"He deserved it. He shouldn't be talk things like that about you."

Alice wondered if this is the only reason why he punched him. Shun let go of her, but she found herself moving closer to Shun until their faces were only inches apart. She didn't know what she was doing. She wasn't thinking about anyone or anything else; not about Fabia, not about Lync, not even about the fact she they were standing in the middle of the school parking lot. She was only thinking about what she wanted to do for so long. She put one hand on his arm to keep her balance, went on her tiptoes, closer her eyes, and leaned in. Their lips met. For the first three seconds, Shun was shocked. He was stiff and stood there, not knowing what to do. He couldn't believe this was actually happening. His eyes automatically shut closed and he wrapped his arms around her waist, closing the distance between them and she wrapped her arms around his neck. They both realized how long they've been wanting to do this. Their lips moved together and everything around them seemed to disappear. It was just Shun and Alice. When it stopped, they stared at each other with hearts beating rapidly and eyes in complete shock. Both of their faces were flushed red and they remained in each other's arms, not daring to look at anyone or anything else in fear that this was just a fantasy and would disappear at any moment.

What just happened?

Alice recalled the punch, the kiss, and that Shun was going to the dance with Fabia, not with her. She mentally slapped herself for being so stupid. How could she do that knowing Shun was going with Fabia?

"Sorry." Alice murmed. "I'm sorry... I What was I thinking? I-" her mind was a blur. She felt guilty. Shun was just being nice and she took advantage of him. She knew he was too nice to say no. She disrespected Fabia. She liked shun- a lot. But she knew it was wrong of her to kiss Shun when she didn't even know if he liked her back and was going to the dance with someone else.

"No, no. Alice it's okay. Calm down." Shun captured Alice in a tight hug and tried to calm her down. Why was she freaking out? He thought the kiss was amazing.

"No it's not okay... I shouldn't have done that." Alice said in his chest. These words made Shun freeze. What did she mean by that? "You're going to the dance with Fabia, not me."

Realization hit Shun like he was shot by a bullet.

"I didn't want to." Shun admitted. Alice looked up at him in complete shock.

"What do you mean?" she urged.

"She asked me to the dance... I wanted to ask you. I would've asked you, but you already said yes to Lync and I figured I had no chance with you. I also would've said no, but she asked me in the middle of a hallway, in front of so many people. I didn't want to embarrass her or let her down." Shun explained. Alice felt a small degree of relief wash over her, but that feeling vanished when she realized someone was standing behind Shun, listening in to their entire conversation...

Fabia.