Chapter 5

Fabia was taking a walk around her neighbourhood when the noticed Alice running and crying. She was about to run after Alice and ask if she was okay when she saw Shun running after her.

What are they doing together?, she thought.

Something was telling her not to interrupt them, but that didn't stop her from investigating. She followed behind at a safe distance and stopped behind a tree when Alice tripped and Shun caught her. She's never seen Shun try so hard to run after anyone ever. She noticed the way he looked at Alice. And how Alice looked back at him.

Shun has never looked at me like that.

She watched as Alice cried in Shun's arms and Alice thanking him for punching Lync. Why would Shun punch Lync? She didn't know they didn't like each other.

But the next thing she saw broke her heart. She felt it drop as Alice leaned in and kissed Shun. How could she?! She glared at Alice. She was angry, but her heart broke even more when she saw Sbun start to kiss back.

"Sorry. I'm sorry... I'm sorry. I-" Fabia heard Alice start to sob again, "I shouldn't have done that. You're going to the dance with Fabia, not me."

It's good that she feels guilty, Fabia thought. But pure anger and jealousy was still running through her veins and burning in her eyes. However, all these emotions turned into sadness as she heard Shun utter the next words,

"I didn't want to."

What does he mean?

"What do you mean?" Alice asked, as if reading Fabia's mind.

"She asked me to the dance... I wanted to ask you. I would've asked you, but you already said yes to Lync and I figured I had no chance with you. I also would've said no, but she asked me in in the middle of the hallway. I didn't want to embarrass her or let her down."

Tears started falling freely from Fabia's eyes. She didn't even realize she was standing up from her hiding place until Alice acknowledged her. They were all standing there alone with the truth lingering between them.

"You didn't want to go to the dance with me?" Fabia managed to croak out.

"Fabia?" a new voice was brought into the scene. Alice turned around to see a boy standing beside her: Ren. "What have you guys done to Fabia?"

Alice could tell Ren was angry and confused as he looked back and forth from the trio.

"I'm sorry, Fabia. I should've been honest with you." Shun said.

"You never really liked me, did you?" Fabia sobbed.

Shun was taken aback. How should he answer this?

"You're a great girl, Fabia. You're brave, pretty, and excellent at hand-to-hand combat, and a great friend... but I just don't like you like that. I'm sorry I hurt you. I should've been straight up since the beginning."

Fabia's crying lowered a little. "I hope you both are happy together." Alice wasn't sure Fabia meant what she was saying, but then Fabia walked up to her. "I really mean it, Alice. At least Shun likes a nice girl like you." Fabia managed a weak smile. It would take a while to get over Shun, considering she's liked him for so long, but she wanted him to be happy. Alice pulled her in for a hug. Surprisingly, Fabia hugged back, not feeling any much of the hate she was feeling earlier. Alice started to speak again.

"I'm glad a nice guy likes you too, Fabia."

Fabia was confused. If Shun didn't like her, who did? Alice beamed brightly at her and nodded her head, gesturing at something behind her. Fabia turned around to see Ren holding two roses. One was white and one was yellow, representing the colour attributes of her bakugan.

"Fabia, I know I'm probably your second choice and this may not be the best time or even under um... ideal circumstances but I was wondering if you'd be willing to go to the dance with me?"

She quickly glanced at Alice and Shun who nodded in support. Ren liked her? She had no clue...

Maybe that's because you've been so caught up with Shun, her own mind told her.

She must've been thinking too long because Ren started looking really nervous, "We umm... we can just go as friends if you like."

She laughed. He looked cute when he was blushing. He looked less... dangerous. Fabia took the flowers from Ren's hand.

"Thank you for asking me, Ren, but..."

She watched Ren's eyes go wide in shock then turn to sadness. He looked down and couldn't look her in the eyes. Fabia started to giggle.

"I'm just kidding! I'd love to go to the dance with you, Ren. And you're not second choice, you're... wonderful. And I'm sorry it's taken me so long to realize that."

He looked up at her in shock and didn't know whether to be mad or laugh that she tricked him, but none of that mattered to him when she threw her arms around him in a tight hug.