Chapter 4 | A time for himself (incomplete)

The fanfic is still discontinued/during a hard rewrite! However, since I won't be updating it I figured I might as well publish this very small part of chapter 4 I started writing before deciding to rewrite the story. It'd give you the first grimple at the Network, different SQUIPs and Mack's very good friend Red as well as explaining some of what happened before he decided to contact Jeremy. Unfortunately I stopped writing it right after Mack returned to the Network so there isn't much, it literally cuts off as he's contemplaining which one of his friends he wants to calls. Either way, I hope you enjoy this very, very short thing.

---

After shopping yesterday and helping his dad make dinner he spent some time with his father, the SQUIP didn't bother him that day anymore, not wanting to interrupt. It was the next day, Jeremy slowly woke up and rolled on his back before sitting up and stretching lazily.

"Good morning SQUIP." He said with a yawn.

I wouldn't call it morning, it's 1 pm.

Jeremy reached out for his phone and checked the time, the supercomputer in his head was right. "Oh." He sat on the edge of his bed and rubbed his face. "I guess I overslept. I should probably call Christine."

"Jeremy? Are you awake? Are you talking to someone?" He heard his father yell from another room.

"Uhh, no, no-one!" Jeremy yelled back. "Just talking to myself!" It wasn't that bad of an excuse, he did talk to himself from time to time when he tried to focus on something and his father knew about this.

He reached for his phone again, this time unplugging it from the charger and going through his contacts until he picked Christine's number and started calling her.

"Hello? Yeah, it's Jeremy." Silence. " Are you still up for hanging out today? Yeah? When can you come?" Silence again. "Alright, see you then, I'll have my games prepared." He hung up and put the phone away before getting up and making his way into the closet.

Christine will be here in an hour. He said to SQUIP as he picked up his favourite shirt and a pair of jeans. Could you...uh...

You want me gone?

Yeah, if it's not a problem.

Of course, I'll reconnect by the afternoon, is that okay?

Yeah, see you then.

And just like that he was back in the empty space surrounding him, the Network, and back in his physical body. He signed deeply and ran the hand through his hair.

"What now?" He mumbled to himself before pulling out a screen and going through it. "I guess I could call someone." He flipped through his contacts. "Play? No. Sam? He's probably busy."