Making a Choice...

A/N: Parseltongue and Newspaper/Letters and Canon Divergence

Narrator's POV

Harry Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived, and his supposed rivals made their way into the Leaky Caldron, Harry still trying to desire who to choose: Diary or Locket? Familiar or foreign? Younger or older? Weaker or stronger?

Seeing the stress, Draco said, "Potter, I know we aren't friends or anything close to that, but both of our asses are in the line here so what's got you so stressed?"

"I have an impossible choice to make." Harry replied, explaining his dilemma

"Merlin damn that is an impossible choice for you. But from my point of view it seems like Locket would be the best choice for a solid entity." Draco answered

Harry considered his words, "Thanks, Malfoy."

"You're welcome, Potter." Draco replied

***

Lord Voldemort sat at the head of the table, the meeting starting now that Severus was present.

"You have news, I believe, Severus." The Dark Lord asked as Snape sat down

"The Auror Office no longer plays any part in the search for Harry Potter. Those closest to him believe we have infiltrated the Ministry." The Potions Master reported

"Well, they've got that right, then, 'aven't they?" A low ranking member of the Inner Circle cackled wheezily, others joining in

Lord Voldemort raised a hand, silencing the room instantly,"Pius, what say you?"

Pius looked up, his gaze placid, "One hears many things, my Lord. Whether the truth is among them is not clear."

The Dark Lord chuckled, "Spoken like a true politician."

Bellatrix spoke up, "My Lord, if I might, I'd like to volunteer myself for this task. I'd like to kill the boy."

Just then a wail cried through the room, angering Lord Voldemort, "Wormtail! Have I not spoken to you about keeping our guest quiet?"

"Yes, m-my Lord. Right away, my Lord." Peter Pettigrew stuttered, quieting the 'guest'

The Dark Lord continued as if nothing happened, "As inspiring as I find your bloodlust, Bellatrix, I must be the one to kill Harry Potter. But I face an unfortunate complication. It has recently come to my attention that my wand and Potter's share the same core. They are, in some ways, twins. We can wound but not fatally harm one another. Which means, if I am to kill him... I will have to do it with another's wand."

No one volunteered their wand, making their say, "Come now. Surely one of you would like the honor? What about... you, Lucius?'

Lucius peered up, getting volentold to give up his wand and handed it to the Dark Lord who presumed to snap off the decoration on the handle.

Armed with his own wand as well as Lucius', Lord Voldemort said, "For those of you who do not know, we are joined tonight by Miss Charity Burbage who until recently taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Her specialty was Muggle Studies. It is Miss Burbage's belief that Muggles are not so different from us. She would, given her way, have us mate with them. To her, the mixture of magical and Muggle blood is not an abomination but something to be encouraged. I, of course, take a contrary view. But we're all civilized here. All adults. We can agree to disagree."

Charity's tear-streaked face revolves once more to face Snape, her voice hoarse with fear,"Severus, please. We're friends."

The Dark Lord's eyes narrow to scarlet slits, his voice becoming a hiss, "Avada Kedavra!"

A green light entered the room from Lord Voldemort's 'gifted' wand, Charity Burbage's body falling to the table, "Nagini, dinner."

***

At the Burrow, the Order held a meeting of their own, giving up on the search for Harry Potter to support Ron as the new Chosen One.

The only people who seemed to have a problem with that were Remus, the Twins and Hermione, the latter writing to Neville and Luna.

The group, now with the addition of Remus Lupin, decided to continue searching for Harry on their own.

***

The group of technically five but visibly two entered the Leaky Caldron and paid for a room, Harry gulped, now he had to tell his choice.

Harry sat on the edge of the bed closet to the window, setting the horcrux objects on the window still and they appeared standing in front of the window —not that Draco could see them.

"Have you made a choice?" Ring asked, already knowing he was going to be absorbed either way

Harry sadly nodded, "I have."

"Who did you choose?" Diary asked, worried

Harry took a deep breath, "I'm sorry, but I choose..."