Go

Dominic

I had lied.

I had heard her talking to Chris, I'd been awake for hours. She talks in her sleep and I caught small snippets of mumbled words as she turned in bed.

She'd told him that we were friends. When we were talking last night I'd told her I wanted to be friends with her and she hadn't said no. I didn't want to be friends with her, I wanted more but if that's all I was going to get then that would be enough for me.

But when she stood in front of me in my hoody, her hair like a wild mane and that slight smile she has, I forgot about being her friend. It felt like fire. I wanted to kiss her, hold her, tell her how much I cared about her and how I couldn't believe she was managing to get under my skin.

I shouldn't have done what I did and I shouldn't have said what I did.

We were friends, that's all.

Why does it hurt so much then?

I switched on my phone and watched as messages and missed calls filled my screen. I frowned as voicemails started to load up. Paul doesn't leave voicemails. It must be Lola.

I called her quickly but the line was dead. I dialled my voicemail and listened, feeling dread build up in my chest.

"Dominic, call me."

"Dominic, it's Paul. He's done something."

"Dominic."

I stood up and pulled on my boots. I quickly headed for the lift and raced to the car.

I pulled up outside the house that Lola stays in and ran in.

"Lola! Lola!"

My heart was thumping, I felt dizzy with worry. I burst into room after room to be greeted with people in varying states of drug use. None were Lola. I raced up the stairs and burst into her room.

She was there. Lying on her bed. The needle in her arm. Her lips blue.

"LOLA!"

I grabbed the needle and ripped it out her arm. I lifted her head and listened frantically for a breath. None. I slapped her cheeks hard, once, twice. Then I heard it, a shallow breath. Tears filled my eyes, I grabbed my phone and started to call for an ambulance then stopped. Not here, I couldn't bring them here. Paul would kill me.

I carried Lola to the car and sped to the hospital. I skidded to a halt to the A&E entrance then ran in with Lola on my arms.

"Help! Please!" I yelled.

A swirl of people in green and blue scrubs appeared and whisked Lola away, I tried to follow but one of them turned around and patted me on the shoulder.

"Let us help her, give her details to reception then we will come and get you."

I made my way to the reception and passed on Lola's details. The glare from the lights and the noise from the other people in the waiting room buzzed through my head. I needed air. I stumbled through the sliding doors and heard my phone ring.

"Dom, where are you?"

It was Paul.

"At the hospital. Lola...I think Lola nearly OD'd."

Paul swore softly, "Fuck. I need you here, Dom. There's things we need to sort out."

"Paul, Lola is really ill. I need to be here."

"Dominic," Paul's voice became deathly cold. "What made you think that was a fucking request?"

***