Chapter 14

Today is Friday, three days after my counseling session with Ally. On Wednesday, my parents went to visit one of my mom's friends, who lives a couple hours north of Miami. They won't get back until tomorrow afternoon. My kids and I were invited to come along. Surprisingly, Julian and Cole were glad to go on the small trip. They usually hate visiting my friends. Well, the one or two friends I do have; it's not like I have many. I guess they just want to be with their grandparents. Anyway, my boys went while my girls stayed here with me. Josie wanted to stay so she could hang out with Elizabeth, and Sofia just wanted to be with me. When Marcus was alive she would always cling to him, but now that he's gone she's definitely a Mommy's Girl. I often worry about Sofia, and my other three. But I guess I don't really have anything to worry about, since all four of my children are taking the whole Marcus thing quite well.

Josie is with Elizabeth right now. They have really hit it off, and I'm glad. Apparently one of Liz's friends is having a sleepover tonight, and she invited both of them. Hopefully Josie will meet a lot of nice girls tonight. She's adjusting to the move quite well. She's hardly been at home for the past few days because she's been with Elizabeth. I totally don't mind that since they're basically just hanging out at her house or the movies. So, it's just me and Sofia at home.

It used to be like this every day of the school year. Marcus would go to work, and Cole, Josie, and Julian would go to school. I really enjoyed getting to spend some quality time with my youngest. When we would have tea parties and play with dolls and watch Nick Jr., I could forget about the predicament I was in. I really miss those days. It's nice to have them back for a little while.

"Go ahead and get dressed Sofia, I laid out an outfit on your bed," I say. She nods and gets up from the living room couch. On Wednesday and Thursday it was storming really bad, so Sofia and I stayed inside and played. But now that the sun has come out, I can't bear to stay inside any longer.

A few minutes later, Sofia and I get in my van and take off. I honestly don't know where we're going, but I do know we're going to have fun.

"So it's just you and me? You're not gonna write in your book?" She asks, referring to my journal, of course.

"Nope, today is all about me and you. So, where do you want to go?"

"I'm hungry."

"Okay, how about we go to Cici's Pizza?"

"Yay! How'd you know that was my favorite eating place?"

"Because I'm your mom, Sof. I know everything there is to know about you," I say, playfully rolling my eyes.

Cici's isn't too crowded. I know it's an all-you-can-eat buffet, but Sofia and I don't get very much pizza.

"Look, Sof!" I say, pointing. One of the employees just put out a fresh batch of the famous cinnamon rolls. My family loves those. Sofia and I quickly get some before everyone else devours them. After we finish, we sit and talk for a few minutes, letting our food settle a bit.

"How about we go to Gymboree and get you some things?" I ask once we get back in my van. I've been meaning to get Sofia some new clothes anyway, since she's growing so much.

"Sure!" she exclaims, and I smile. My little girl is so sweet. All four of my children are sweet, really. Last year we had a bit of a conflict with Josie (she wanted to date but Marcus and I thought it was still a little early), but other than that my kids are pretty easy to deal with. I'm so proud of the people they're becoming.

The mall that we go to is one that I have never been to before. Apparently it was built while I was gone. I check on my phone to make sure there's a Gymboree in this particular mall. There is, but even if there wasn't, it wouldn't be a big deal. I don't have a care in the world today.