Chapter 22

"Mom, it's just Jennifer, not the president of the United States," I complain. All day, my mother has been bustling around our house like a madman, dusting and vacuuming and straightening absolutely everything. She's even recruited my sons to be her personal helpers. I've been trying so hard not to laugh in their faces. It's hilarious, watching them do all the things me and Sofi had to do every single time we had company.

"I know, but only the best for this woman and her precious children," she replies. Mom knows everything that Jen has done for me over the years, and both she and my dad are so grateful. They've already said that they will treat her, Lana, and Lydia like queens during their entire stay at our home.

I feel butterflies of excitement in my stomach. Although I've called, texted, and Skyped Jennifer several times over the past several weeks, it's nothing compared to actually seeing her in person. I can't wait to give her the biggest hug. Too bad she's still three hours away. I'm not sure if I can wait that long.

"Josie! Sofia! Your room better be spotless by the time I come up there!" my mother yells. I hear a lot of quick movement right above me, so I'm assuming that they haven't even started straightening their room. I smile and shake my head.

Cole and Julian sit at the kitchen table, waiting for their next orders. My dad has yet to emerge from the master bedroom. Smart man.

"Cole, dust those pictures for me." She gestures to the family pictures on the mantle above the fireplace that we never use. "Oh, no! The office looks a mess! I knew I was forgetting something...." My mom walks off, muttering to herself.

I check the time on my phone. 3:47. I guess now would be a good time to start dinner. I don't know if my mom will ever get around to it, since she keeps finding more and more things to tidy up. I'm making chicken Alfredo pasta, Jen's favorite food.

Once the pasta is cooked, the Alfredo sauce is made, and the chicken is ready to come out of the oven, there's still a little less than two hours until my best friend will arrive. I sigh. Cutting up the chicken and then mixing it in with the pasta and pouring the sauce on top, I practically dance with excitement. Does something really good ever happen to you and you're just like, "I can't believe this is actually happening; this is like something I would only dream about"? Well, that's exactly how I feel right now.

Now that the pasta is all good and stirred up, I put some dinner rolls in the oven to go along with it. In just a few minutes, those are done, too. Now if the girls are really hungry when they arrive, we can eat right away. All we'll have to do is heat it up a little in the microwave.

"Camila, tell me if I missed anything," my mom says. She starts with showing me the kitchen (and scolding me for making it "dirty" again), and then the living room, dining room, office, master bathroom, master bedroom, and hall bathroom. Then, we go upstairs. My room, the girls' room, the boys' room, the laundry room, both bathrooms, and the bonus room all look nice. Jennifer and her daughters were going to sleep downstairs on our fold-out couch, but we decided that it might be better for them to sleep in the bonus room on the air mattress, since Mom says it's more comfortable. And, that will give them more space for their things: other than Sofia's toys and an old TV, the bonus room is empty.

"Why did you guys stay in this house after Sofia went off to college? It's pretty big for only two people," I say to my mother.

"We wanted you to be able to find us if you ever decided to come back." Tears form in my eyes, and when I look at her, I see that her eyes aren't exactly dry either.

"I love you so much, and I'm so sorry for everything," I hug my mother and hope that she'll be able to feel all of the love I have for her in our embrace.