Garfield.

Word count: 5502

Concept: Everyone starts out somewhere. And for Garfield, that somewhere is a world known as Sylvain.

This one gets a little angsty, but it's more like teenage angst than anything else.

===============================================

Winter in Sylvain had come violently that year.

Every Sylvan had taken residence in their homes for the time being. They locked their doors to howling winds, to white outs, and to sheets of ice that fell like daggers from the clouds above. The snow had been persistent. Where blue skies regularly greeted folks were endless stretches of white, so extensive that come nights the moons rotation was illegible. The Sylvans tasked with watching over the Gateway between worlds were at a constant vigilance. For, they could only estimate when the doors between realms may open, and what may come through.

Vincent was quite shocked when this day did come.

The journey to the Enchanters place of residence was not an easy task. Vincent had only been on the guard a month, and never had he been tasked with going down to greet the Sylvan known to the world as a legend, let alone with a package of such importance. The lift ride down was one of anxiety, and as he stood on the cliff and called out to the Enchanter that worry only multiplied.

With a soft purr, a pair of yellow eyes opened from below, and all at once a towering gray cat pulled itself to its fullest height.

A deep voice shook the cavern. "What is it you desire?"

"I, uh, actually. I have something I'm supposed to give you? Mr. Enchanter sir."

He hummed. "A gift in exchange for an enchantment?"

"No, actually. It's, well—"

Vincent shook his head, suddenly lost for words, and instead settled for holding his arms out to their fullest lengths. A pair of yellow eyes blinked curiously as the Enchanter leaned forward, and once seemingly close enough, Vincent unfolded his hands.

Wrapped tightly within them was an orange kitten with streaks of white dancing through its fur. It mewed curiously up at the imposing figure, swatting at the Enchanters whiskers as if unaware of who it was in the presence of.

The Enchanter's nose twitched. "Throw it back."

"But, sir, it's already been exposed to Sylvan magic."

"So?"

"So," Vincent motioned towards himself, then to the whole of the Enchanter, "This is what that very magic did to us. I'm not sure it's best to bring it back to that world, not if it will hint towards Sylvain's existence."

"And so you brought it to me instead?"

"Well, you and it are the same species. All assumptions are that you would be best fitted to care for it once it begins to grow."

"There are businesses designed specifically for this, Vincent."

He nodded. "True. But, none could raise this kitten as well as you. Perhaps think of it as an apprentice? You don't want to do this the rest of your life, do you?"

The Enchanter pondered on that for a moment, taking a time to stroke his whiskers with an over grown paw. "Yes, I suppose you are right. An apprentice would be lovely."

Vincent beamed as he slowly laid the kitten down, and immediately it bounded over to a cricket crawling through a hoard of rocks. "Then, I will leave you two to be."