CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

They've been staying in Alexandria for about five or six months. So much has changed. The more obvious, Carl and Cameron having well whatever they were. They never are apart, I swear. But a lot of things have gone sideways. Like for instance, Carl's eye had been shot out when a herd had overran Alexandria. 

 The door to Denise's office had bursted open, Carl in Rick's arms with no right eye. Cameron stood in one place, he couldn't move. Tears were falling down his face hard but he didn't move. The fear that had consumed him at this moment was beyond any he had ever felt. The room was whirling with people running to get what Denise needed. But Cameron kept looking at Carl's eyeless right socket. Blood was pooling out of it and Cameron couldn't register what was happening. 

 He thought of everything they had done together this past year. Playing video games, listening to music, being kids. Cameron's world was crumbling. Meanwhile everyone was trying to help. But no one could really blame Cam. Then, suddenly Rick opens the door. Cameron knows what he's doing. Cameron unsheathes his two machetes and follows after. They both start slashing the walkers hard and fast. 

  More people ran out the house but Cameron just kept chopping heads off and stabbing the walkers. People forget how strong they truly are until it is the only option they have. It doesn't matter why you had to become this way only that you remember is what are you being strong for. 

For Cameron it was For his Grandad, His mother, the father he never met, for Leo, for Nora, and for Carl. He needed to stop thinking he wasn't strong enough because then you do not push. You do not push harder than you should. You do not see the true and real potential you have. Even as Cameron killed walker after walker he couldn't help but do it with sad, angry, long overdue tears. 

  But thanks to Denise Carl survived. He was okay, well as much as a kid who has no eye can be. It's up to you to decide whether it is a lot or not much. It took what seemed like forever to Carl for him to be able to shoot a target again, losing depth perception sucks. Cam was by his side through it all. The long nights that they did nothing but hold each other. He was there through tears, anger, depression, and everything else. 

 He thought he should have protected Carl. He shouldn't have to through this. Truthfully, no one should. But Carl would be shot again to make Cameron happy. He would die to protect Cameron. And maybe if Carl had protected Cameron the way Cam had protected Carl, maybe he'd still have his arm. Maybe if they didn't kill saviors then Abraham wouldn't be dead. Maybe if Carl was more careful then Judith would still be here. But really, what are they here for? The world is gone.

 And so is humanity.