Chapter 5

Peggy sat on the end of her bed. There was a knock at her door. Her breath stopped. Should she answer it? Would the person go away? Footsteps entered her room.

"Sorry to disturb you," a soft voice said. Peggy looked up. The girl who walked in was younger than the other Amazons she had met. She had wisps of blonde hair and green eyes and was muscular just like the others. "Here," she said, handing Peggy a cloak.

"What's this for?" she asked, looking at the grey thing in disgust.

"We're going to see the Oracle," the girl said.

"The Oracle?" Peggy scoffed.

"You want to leave the island, right?" She asked. Peggy nodded. "Hippolyta won't send you back, even if she could. The Oracle might know a way you can get of the island."

"You are defying your queen for me?" Peggy asked.

"No," said the girl. "I am getting rid of a danger to this island. The lasso of Hestia can do more than make you tell the truth, it can make you forget. The Oracle, gods willing, will tell us how you can leave. You leave and never remember a thing." She pulled the lasso out of her bag.

"You stole it!" Peggy exclaimed, impressed.

"No," she replied, "you cannot steal what belongs to you. All Amazons have the right to defend themselves and their island. We can use the weapons at our disposal to train and, if need be, fight. It would only be stealing if I left the island and never returned."

"Why are you doing this?" She finally asked.

"People died the last time a stranger came to our shores. And our princess left to try and fix your world. Clearly, she failed." The woman said. "I lost my friends that day. I want you off Themiscyra as much as you do."

Peggy stood. "Well, you could at least tell me your name."

"Helete," the girl replied, "now put to cloak on." Peggy did as she was told. The Amazon examined Peggy's shoes. "These will make too much noise," she muttered. "And they look like some sort of torture device."

"I've done many things in heels perfectly well," Peggy replied.

  Helete took the shoes from her, having the agent a disapproving gaze. "Take mine," the warrior said, pulling off her own. They were some sort of gladiator-style slipper made entirely out of leather, that wrapped around her legs up to her knees. Peggy struggled to get them on. They were by far one of the most comfortable things she had ever worn, but the straps were irritating and soles seemed to thin.

They snuck out into the corridor, Helete leading the way and Peggy hidden underneath the brown cloak. They walked through the streets unquestioned. People waved and called to Helete and she waved them off. It was a normal day in Themyscira.

They walked to a lush green plain. Helete whistled. Thunder, or so it sounded, answered and the wind blew the grass. "Easy girl," Helete said into the wind, stretching out her arm as if to stroke a horse. "Get on." She said to Peggy.

"Get on what?" the agent asked.

"The horse," replied the Amazon, clearly unamused.

"I don't see anything," the warrior grabbed Peggy's arm and brought her close to the invisible thing. Her palm made contact with it. Suddenly, the horse appeared before her.

"Up," the Amazon said with a smirk. "No one will be able to see us if we touch her mane."

"This is amazing!" Peggy cried when she had mounted. The sheer power of the horse below her was overwhelming, and they were only trotting. Helete sat behind her, keeping her steady with her muscular arms.

"We are invisible," she said, "others can still hear us."

"Oh shut up," Agent Carter grumbled. This was by far the coolest adventure she had ever been on, the things she had dreamed of as a little girl. Suddenly, everything was possible. Maybe she could one day slay a dragon. Maybe she could go on adventures with people who would treat her as an equal, fantastical, magical adventures. She would have nothing to prove, no boys with moonie eyes to worry about. No insufferable superior officer. Just freedom to be strong, to be-

The horse stopped galloping. Helete dismounted, gracefully and with elegance. Peggy slipped off with her aid.

"Here we are," Helete said. "This is the entrance to the Oracle's cave.

Peggy stared down the tunnel. Never in her life had she been so afraid. She prayed in vain that the Amazon could not feel her trembling under the strong hand she was keeping on the Agent's shoulder. The cave was black, not just dark, but black with a blue light emitting from the center.

The Amazing pushed Peggy forwards. "Let's go," she said, her voice unwavering. If Helete wasn't worried, perhaps there was no reason to be, Peggy reasoned. The Amazon knew the way, she had probably been here many times before. There was no danger, Peggy told herself, no reason to tremble or worry for her life. She was safe, she thought as the warrior let her into the darkness. She was safe.

~~~~~~

Hi all, I hope you're enjoying this book. Please don't forget to vote and comment and share so that others can find this book. Also, I'd just like you all to know I'm going away for a few weeks and that's why I've been doing a lot of updates. I'll be writing on the app, but there will be no new updates until after the 13th. Thanks for understanding,
~Beneath_The_Willows