Chapter 16

Daniel held Peggy in his arms. he was thinking up a plan. There was a way out of this, that he was sure, he just had not thought of this yet. Peggy had fallen asleep sometime earlier. He stroked her hair as he wondered what she knew. If she'd spent all this time on the island, they could figure out what their captors were after. That is, he realized, if her memory is right. If Peggy truly did not remember much after Los Angeles, it possible whatever had done this had tampered with her perception of the island. Magic was no longer a crazy alternative.

Peggy stirred. I wonder if she'll still want to marry me after this, he thought, looking down at her outline in the dark and pulling her closer. He wondered if she was smiling as she used to when she fell asleep in his arms listening to the radio. He kissed the top of her head. this would work out,

He could not tell how long he had been sitting there with Peggy in his arms when the boat started to moan. It did that every time it changed direction or speed. Daniel was sure there was a difference between the two moans, but he had yet to figure it out. Peggy squirmed in her sleep and he loosened his grip on her to allow her to get comfortable. The ship moaned again and Daniel flinched as someone interrupted the relative silence by barling down the metal stair.

The stranger bangs on the bars. "Food," he grumbled. "Keep your strength up. You'll need it once we get back to New York." He kicked a bowl of pottage through a small gap in the bars.

Daniel shook Peggy awake as he pulled the bowl closer. He held the spoon to her mouth and told her to eat then kissed her forehead. The ship stopped abruptly, spilling the portable all over them both. Daniel swore. The ship dipped forwards, sending them both tumbling into the bars.

"You okay Peg?" He asked.

"Yeah," she replied quietly.

"Hold onto me," Daniel said, "I'll hold onto the bars in case the ship swerves again."

"Where do you think we are?"

"I have no-"

They both screamed as the door to the brig flew off the hinges in an explosion.

"Agent Carter!" A voice boomed. Peggy held tight to Daniel. The light was streaming in from where the door used to be revealing the buff figure of a woman. Peggy squinted. She didn't know the voice, but then again there weren't many Amazons she could distinguish by voice, yet she couldn't make it out by the figure either nor the armour. The Amazon walked over to the cell and pulled the barred door off.

"Who are you?" She asked, looking down at Daniel.

"Daniel Sousa, who-"

"Right, the fiancee. Up, both of you." The woman took Peggy's arms and helped her to her feet then extended an arm towards Daniel. "Unfortunately, I think we've met before Agent Sousa. Now this way off the ship," she said, ushering them out if cell.

Daniel held onto to Peggy who was still shaky on her feet as they climbed up the stairs.

"Who's that?" Peggy asked.

"I don't know," replied Daniel. She seemed familiar. She had the same accent that woman had, the one who had the note in her bag. There had also been armour too. What had happened to that? What had happened to her? As he tried to remember, the details her fuzzy. The only thing he knew for certain was that Thompson has said he'd dealt with the situation. Now that he thought of it, that was all that Thompson had said. He had not said how or why or where, just that it had been taken care of.

Daniel raised his hand to shield his eyes from the light. It as about midday. Squinting, he looked around. He couldn't see anyone in their immediate vicinity. His eyes adjusted and he turned back their rescuer. So it was Diana Prince. He was right to think there was so etching up with her. She was dressed in armour that left her tanned arms and legs bare and showed off her neckline. Daniel stepped on his own foot, digging his heel into his toe. He was not going to let himself think about it. Was there really a whole island of women? Yes, of course, there was, Peggy had said so.

"I know you," Peggy said, slightly delirious, pointing towards Diana. "I saw... I saw," has trailed off.

Diana swore and walked over to them. "What happened to her?"

"They beat her," Daniel replied.

Diana swore again in Greek. She took Peggy out of Daniel's arms and laid her down. "She needs time and water." The Amazon took a flask from her belt. She put an arm under Peggy's head and held the flask to her lips. The water was gone in almost an instant. "We need a plan and some time two things we don't have."