Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

When Teddy Bears are enough

    I have a list of times when teddy bears are enough to make me feel better. When I'm sick, when I'm lonely, and when I've scraped my knees or gotten hurt are some of them. When Alan's little sister is kidnapped by Alice in order to get back at me for turning her in almost eight years ago? That's not on the list. I hug the bear situated on my dresser tightly before throwing myself on my bed like the dramatic teenagers on those 'soap' operas I just recently started watching. I thought they'd involve drama centered around a soap making factory of sorts, but they (sadly) did not. What I really need is a distraction. 

    "Maybe I should call Gwen." I sigh, thinking that hearing the words out loud will sway me in or out of favor of that idea. I decide not to call her.

    "Maybe I should text Gwen." That sounds good.

    "Dearest Guinevere, I regret to inform you that I was rendered unable to lure Alan into the coffee-not coffee trap you had so carefully laid." She doesn't respond as quickly as usual, in fact, she doesn't respond at all so I assume she's at one of her special role playing events.

    "Btw ur a nrd." I text a second message, using her own strange language to mock her (at least that's what I hope is happening, if she wasn't out then that would've certainly provoked a response). There goes my distraction. Oh, are you feeling guilty?

"Yes." I sigh before pulling myself to my feet and wandering downstairs to find Tiny (I ended up taking her and Oreo back to my house and am keeping Oreo in a birdcage which may or may not be against the code of bunny care and safety). After Alan left I called the police and left anonymous tips of most of the places I know Alice stashed supplies in or used for her little hobbies: I'm not going to be able to search them all by myself, after all. And then I went home, because if Alice is planning on making her point she'll go after me when I looked the guiltiest. So it'll seem like I ran away and she'll get off as just another missing crazy.

Mother always seems to be one step ahead of you. Well one is at less than I had originally assumed anyways. I just need a plan.

"Ma'am?"

"Yes?" I respond, absentmindedly. I hear Susan and Hal talking downstairs. Then who's up here with you? I don't turn around immediately, first I consider the possible reactions and land on self defense, then I decide to aim my attack their chin to knock them off balance (I couldn't be certain they were male and aim for other places, after all).

My would be uppercut fails as the police officer (as if it couldn't get worse) catches my fist.

"I don't think you'd like to add 'assaulting an officer' to your list of charges so, if you don't mind, vacate this premises." He says, narrowing his eyes at me. You should have let me take care of this, I'm better at this sort of thing then you are.

"Shut up." I mutter,

"Excuse me?" The officer asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I asked why you want me to leave and why you're in my room." That's not convincing at all. The officer doesn't question it and simply pulls out a piece of paper.

"Search warrant, ma'am. In light of the abduction of a child we are exploring every lead we have." As if, they have no way of knowing her disappearance is related to us, they just want an excuse.

"Okay." I just nod and leave, walking downstairs to find Susan and Hal. So subservient. My parents are arguing nobley against a Miss Miranda Glaus.