Chapter Ten

Dad stood before me, his lips drawn into a thin line. In the end, Mom and I had to fill him in starting at when the skunk had snuck into the cabin somehow and ending at the part where I threw a pillow at it in attempt to scare it out, but instead it sprayed. To explain my broken window, I calmly told them it wouldn't open therefor I had to bust my way out. They accepted my lies as the truth without a question. That didn't mean they were happy about it, though.  

My father circled the house once. A series of words in an ancient tongue sprang from his mouth when the route was complete. A slow hissing sound filled the air as the smell slowly drained from the cabin. Within a few moments, all was silent again. Dad turned back to me. Symmetrical wrinkles framed his soft blue eyes. It almost seemed like just standing was to much for him. He looked exhausted. 

"Dad-" He held his hand up to stop me, but I pushed forwards, "I'm sorry." 

He nodded. "It's not your fault. Now stand still." 

I froze as he began the ritual he preformed on the house only moments ago on me. My breathing was shallow as the last remaining bit of skunk stink evaporated into the air. Without having to be told, I led my parents to my room. They looked around, their eyes taking in every detail. Dad waved his hand over my bed. I watched in silence as the torn fabric wove itself back together until it was as good as new. My window and snow globe had also restored their former glory by the time I looked back up. 

"Thanks." 

"You better be getting a shower and going to bed," was all Dad said in response. "It's been a long day." 

"Yeah." 

My parents turned to leave the room in silence. At the door, Mom turned back to me. "Thank you for getting it out. Even if your father did find out in the end." 

I gave her a weak smile. "No problem."

"You ready for a little field trip after school?" I asked as I slid down into my seat. 

Raylynn's eyes widened. "He said yes." 

"Yeah." 

Noah asked, "So what was the mysterious signal?" 

"A skunk. That's why Mom had me leave dinner early. He put a freaking skunk in our cabin!" 

"So what'd you do? It doesn't smell like you got sprayed." 

"Do y'all still have it?" 

I looked at Georgia. "'Do y'all still have it?'" 

"I hear skunks taste good," she defended. "Is it still there?" 

"No. We took care of it." 

Josh repeated, "'We'? Your mom stayed here. Who helped you? Your dad?" Everyone leaned in to hear better. Anticipation danced in their eyes. 

"I made Leo help me. He was the one who put it in there after all." Noah tensed beside me, but I pretended like I hadn't noticed. "He was finally able to get it out, but it kind of sprayed us first." 

"But you don't smell," Josh interrupted. 

I gave him a look conveying my irritation at him for cutting me off before I continued. "My dad has a spell that got rid of the smell. I am smell free. But who knows about Leo." I shrugged. "He was on his own there." 

"How'd it all go down? Give us every detail." Ray asked. Not needing much encouragement, I told my friends the real story of how it all happened. By the time the bell signalling the end of lunch sounded I was completely talked out. We all rose from our seats to head to our first class. I reached for Noah's hand and pulled him to my side. His hand laid limp in mine, not grasping me, but not pulling away.