Chapter 20: Bed Resting

~ Jayleen's POV ~

I was lying in bed and we've been talking for a while. The hospital door opened, and Kale walked in.

"How'd you get back? I thought you were staying with dad." I said.

"I took his car back. I was done dealing with mom. I kind of yelled at her for you... I feel bad though." He said, and Wendy walked over to hug him.

"Kale, you didn't have to do that." I said.

"I did. She went way out of line." He stated, "Even though she's mom, you shouldn't have that affect you in any way."

"You're sweet, Kale." I said.

He walked over and ruffled my hair, kissing my head, "That's what your big brother is for." He smiled.

"Did mom open the gift?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "I took it out and placed it on the table, then walked out and came here. You have to ask dad if mom opened the present." He sighed.

"Okay... at least she knows I gave her a gift." I sighed and shut my eyes.

"Honey, you should sleep, it's nearly 12:00am." Kaitlyn said.

"Okay." I said.

"I'll stay with her. You guys can head home." Sydnee said.

"Are you sure, sweetie?" Her mom asked.

She just nodded and we all said our goodbyes before the door of my room shut. I turned my head to Sydnee. "Are you upset with me?"

She shook her head, "I would never be upset at you because of something that wasn't your fault." Sydnee said. "Come on, I'll let you rest." She said, and I nodded as she turned the lights off and sat on the couch next to me, holding my hand as I fell asleep to beeping machines.

~~~<>~~~<>~~~<>~~~

I woke up to little sunlight and doctors running around the halls of the hospital because of a trauma. Readjusting myself, I turned my head to see Sydnee's folded arms on the bed as her head rested in them. Her hand still gripped mine and I smiled. Lightly stirring, she let out a silent yawn and looked up at me.

"Morning." She said.

"Morning." I said.

"How are you feeling?" She asked me.

"Pain... but better. My body aches." I said, and she nodded.

I looked around the room and found the clock, it said 10:00am. I tried to readjust my body to feel comfortable but I'm getting frustrated.

"Jayleen, you have to relax, if you keep moving around and become irritated, you might pop the stitches then it will cause more complications to the doctor." Sydnee said.

I groaned as I stayed laying on my back. The door opened when we noticed the doctor walking in, "How are you feeling?" He asked me.

"Pain. Better, but pain." I said. "I can't find a comfortable position to lay in." I said, and he nodded.

"I'll have the nurse refill you on pain meds." He said, and I nodded.

"Thank you."

The door opened again as Kale, Wendy and Kaitlyn walked in. "Hey." They said.

"Where's dad?"

"He said he's on his way." Wendy said.

"Wait? Did you guys ride with Kaitlyn?" I asked.