chapter thirteen: formal-posal

a/n: here's the second part of the day!! btw, I've decided that once we hit 1k reads and 100 votes, I'll do a poll on what bonus chapter I should write

a/n: here's the second part of the day!! btw, I've decided that once we hit 1k reads and 100 votes, I'll do a poll on what bonus chapter I should write. but thank you to everyone who has continued to support me and this book!

T H I R T E E N : FORMAL-POSAL

"SO," Parker drawled as he drove, "what's that painting depict in your project?" He had managed a quick glance at the beautifully painted piece. It was a drawing of a massive, elegant ballroom with chandeliers dripping from the ceiling with men and women dressed in formal wear. There was one couple who stood out, however—a woman standing at the top of a grand staircase and a man standing at its foot.

Mae instinctively studied her own painting for any errors. "Oh, so basically... well, it's kind of hard to explain without knowing the rest of the story."

"Then why don't you tell me the whole thing then," he prompted.

She smiled shyly, but began. "Our story revolves around two main characters—Fiona, who's an Irish immigrant who steals to survive on the streets of 18th century New York; and Alexander, a young man born into a wealthy family. The two meet when Fiona is caught pickpocketing Alexander. She manages to escape, but he pretty much 'falls in love' with her.

"This scene portrays when Fiona enters the gala that Alexander asked her to accompany him to. He had asked his sister to help her dress since she didn't have the money to get her own dress." Mae pointed out each feature of the laughing in detail.

Parker recognized the part when she mentioned Alexander asking Fiona to the gala because it was exactly what Dustin was planning to—

"We're here," he announced unceremoniously, his tone flat. He killed the engine of his car right as he swerved into the driveway of the Jin mansion.

They both hopped out of the car and Mae sent him a strange look. "Are you coming in, too?"

Parker's mouth was pulled taut as he nodded. "Yeah... I, uh, have to grab something I forgot here the other day," he lied.

Mae bobbed her head and walked ahead, pushing open the door that was left open. Parker sighed to himself, running a hand through his hair.

This is for Dustin, he reminded himself, your best friend.

As the two climbed the twin staircase, Parker shoved his hands into his pockets to hide his clenched hands, and closed his mouth to hide his gritted teeth.

Here we go... he said in his mind as Mae pushed past Dustin's door that had been left ajar. A small gasp escaped Mae's mouth.

Parker had to say that even he was impressed. Dustin, Icelyn, and Joanna had managed to transform Dustin's bedroom into the spitting image of a cheesy and cliché romance movie. The lights had been dimmed, curtains were drawn shut, and Joanna was swaying with her violin. A pathway was outlined in delicate jasmine flowers and tea candles that led up to where Dustin stood. Icelyn was standing off to the side doing a solo dance to accompany the music.

Mae walked slowly, and unsurely, up to Dustin who was grinning from ear to ear, a blush spread across his cheeks and down his neck. He had on a dark blue dress shirt that was rolled up to the elbows and a pair of khakis. In his hands was a large piece of white cardboard that was decorated like the invitation to the gala in his and Mae's story.

Once Mae reached Dustin, she covered her mouth in shock as she read over the replica of the invitation at least ten times.

"Mae," Dustin asked, "will you be the Fiona to my Alexander and accompany me to the Winter Formal next week?"

MAE ALMOST said no. And with the silence following after he asked and Joanna had stopped playing, she was sure that Dustin thought so, too. His grin was slowly diminishing and Mae knew she had to say something fast.

Mae started off with a hasty nod that boosted the smile crawling onto her face. "Yes," she said, "yes, yes, yes!"

The two embraced, Dustin dropping the invitation and Mae setting the canvas down and wrapping her arms around his neck, while his hands went around her waist.

Icelyn and Joanna cheered and clapped, going in for a group hug. Parker stood off to the side with his arms crossed. He wasn't much for group hugs anyway, but he showed his support through the smile on his face.

You're not jealous.

You're not jealous, he repeated again.

He tried being much more convincing and it seemed to work, because when Dustin lifted his head up to look at his best friend, Parker had a full blown grin on his face. Dustin mouthed a "thank you" and Parker returned it with a nod of his head. I did say anything, he reminded himself as he slipped out of the room.

As he hopped back into his car and revved up the engine, Parker smiled happily, knowing that he had a package at home to unbox for Friday night.

a/n: okay, so Parker's up to something again ^ ^ have any ideas?

oh yes, and I'm going to be writing a new story called Out of Orbit. It's basically a text message story revolving around a 15 year old girl and a 25 year old celebrity. I KNOW this spells "age-gap romance", but really, it's not. Here's the little synopsis:

In which Chandler Holden's life changes when a fan texts him one night.

Chandler Holden was a famous menswear model and actor. He was in touch with himself, and gained loyal fans. But after sending out a post on his social media asking everyone how they were, he didn't expect someone to answer the way she did.

Arial Quinn was a curious 15-year-old who bravely texted a celebrity expecting rejection. She asked a simple question, and she got an answer. Overtime, both would grow closer to each other through midnight vents, deep conversations, and getting to know each other like siblings.

This is not a romance. This is how Chandler Holden was thrown out of orbit.

yeah, the summary was crap, but I'm going to post four of it's chapters for people to sample and see if you guys like it :D thanks again! 

Please vote for more!