chapter sixteen: guilty

a/n: sorry, it's been awhile :(

S I X T E E N : GUILTY

Monday (five days until the due date)

ICELYN HAS BEEN very happy the past two days, which meant that Mae was plenty happy. Monday night, she was reciting her part of the script that Dustin had written and sent over to her. Icelyn had gone to sleep only a few minutes ago.

12am was reached and Mae packed up her paints and brushes quickly, mumbling to herself a few more lines. As soon as she reached the door to her room however, a loud thump reached her ears, coming from the outside hallway.

Mae, curious at whoever would be up at this hour, tiptoed over to the front door and peeked through the peephole. To her surprise and shock, she found Parker on the other side, slumped against the door.

She barely thought about what she was thinking when she opened the door, consequently making Parker's weak body almost fall to the floor since he had been up against it. Mae steadied him by his shoulders and closed the door with her foot.

"Parker, what the hell? It's midnight—" She was cut off by him stirring awake from his half-slumber.

He giggled. "Mae? Or is it Snow?" A weird snort came from his throat. "I don't even know anymore."

Mae, realizing now that he was over the top drunk, scrunched up her nose at his breath that wreaked of vodka and tequila. He had gone hardcore tonight, and now he had made it to her dorm—

Her eyes widened while Parker moved himself to her couch. She rushed over to him, making him look her straight in the eyes. "Parker. Listen to me."

"Yeah, baby?"

"Did you drive here?"

There was a moment of silence as drunk Parker pondered her question. Finally, to Mae's utter relief, he responded with, "No. I think I was nearby."

She sighed, a weight lifting off her chest. If Parker had driven drunk... "Parker, what are you doing here?"

He stared at her cluelessly like a cute one year old, except he was 18 and drunk. "I dunno." He smiled to himself and laid down on his back, staring out the window at the pitch black sky. "I think I love you."

Mae squeaked, just barely covering her mouth when she did. She took a good look at Parker who twisted his head to look at her. "Y-you love me?" The word left a taste worse than alcohol in her mouth.

He nodded. "I drank so much vodka for you tonight. And tequila. 'Cause I like tequila. I didn't drink brandy though because Dustin likes brandy." Parker frowned, casting his eyes away from her curious gaze. "I didn't want your favorite to mix with his."

Mae pressed her lips together and laced her fingers with each other. She took a seat on the coffee table right across from him on the couch. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You told me that other night when I gave you that green stuff that you liked Dustin. And he likes you back." Parker shifted so he faced her. "But I like you, Mae. Even if you don't like me, but like him. And I—"

"Parker—" Mae warned, not wanting him to say something stupid whilst in his drunken stupor.

"—don't care now. He asked you to the formal. But this is my chance. I have to tell you something else." Parker didn't even give Mae a chance to stop him before he blurted out, "I gave you absinthe to drink. That's how I got you drunk. I guess I kind of spout the truth, too, when I'm drunk." He grinned boyishly and so innocently that she almost dismissed the fact that he admitted to giving her absinthe.

Fucking absinthe.

"Parker, you gave me absinthe?" She asked him, feeling betrayed. If he had given her too much of that to drink... she could've gotten alcohol poisoning, or worse, maybe even died.

He nodded like a child who hadn't realized he had done something wrong. "Yup. It was the only way you would tell me stuff."

"Like what?" When he didn't answer right away, she repeated the question harsher. "Parker, what the fuck did I say?"

Parker shrugged. "Stuff about how you feel, your family kind of, and other things I don't really remember right now because I'm... so tired." He yawned twice, smacking his lips and turning to face the window.

Mae shoved her angry thoughts away and stood. "Alright. Get some sleep. You won't feel great in the morning anyways." When she turned to walk back to her room, Parker's hand found hers and tugged her back.

"Stay?"

It was the sweetest, most cutest thing that had ever left his lips and Mae bit her bottom lip until it bled. "Sure," she agreed, figuring he wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. She grabbed the blanket draped over the back of the couch and slipped next to Parker. Their bodies molded into each other's as she blanketed them.

Parker found the crook of her neck particularly comfortable and decided to snuggle there. Mae faced away from him, but it was still pretty awkward for her. Never had she been this close to a boy before. Never had she slept with one. Never had she thought that Parker Ly loved her.

a/n: not even 1,000 words, but I really felt bad for not posting in a week or so :( I'm currently still thinking about the next few chapters and that the next one will probably be pretty long (maybe?) love y'all lots <3