"Nice pajamas."

Jade lay restlessly in her bed. She'd been having trouble sleeping since Ben returned home. She was usually exhausted at the end of the day, having worked hard to meet the demands of the house hold. But, with Ben doing most of her tasks without even realizing it, Jade's workload was cut almost in half. 

She sat up and made her way to the small kitchen of the pool house she lived in. Dammit, Jade thought, no more tea bags. She walked outside, and slipped in through the chef's entrance at the back of the kitchen. She walked quickly and quietly to the pantry, intending to make this a quick trip.

Her heart dropped when she turned the corner back into the kitchen, and saw that the light was on. Ben sat on the kitchen island, munching on a granola bar, bare feet dangling above the tiles. 

Actually, Jade realized, a lot more than his feet were bare. He sat there wearing his boxers shorts and an open sweater draped lazily over his shoulders. Ben hopped down and turned to leave, when he caught sight of Jade. 

He stopped short, and held up his late night snack. "I couldn't sleep," he simply admitted.

"Neither could I, " Jade said, trying to keep her voice low. 

The two stood there awkwardly, Ben looking at his half eaten granola bar, Jade fiddling with her tea bag. "Well, good night," Jade said, and she could see relief wash over her new boss as she left the kitchen. 

She was almost back to her pool house when she heard Ben open the chef's door. "Hey. Jade." 

She turned around. "Yes?"

"Nice pajamas," he said with a laugh as he turned off the lights and headed inside.

Jade looked down at herself and heat immediately rushed to her cheeks and neck. How had she not realized she was wearing little more than a tiny t-shirt and sleeping shorts that would have better suited Lillian?

Jade rubbed her eyes and hurried inside, cursing herself, but also glad he hadn't seen her in something better suited for Mrs. Callahan.  

Oh, what did she care what Ben thought of her?

Clearly, she cared a lot. She fell asleep to dreams of his strong arms wrapped around her half dressed body, her head tucked against his bare chest.