"We've never had a maid before..."

Jade sat Mrs. Callahan down in the sitting room, offering her a glass of water. The strange man, who claimed he was her son, sat awkwardly on the arm of the sofa, casting glances between the light headed woman on the couch, and the young lady fanning her. 

"Benjamin, what are you doing home?" Mrs. Callahan asked, struggling into a sitting position. "You said you needed to serve for another three years before they let you come back."

"I did, but this is the second time I broke my leg. They don't want me taking up space in the camp if I can't serve."

Jade sat there, looking at her boss and her son, and couldn't help but see the similarities in their noses, and the set of their eyes, which were both a rich green. "Serve?" Jade spoke up for the first time since opening the door.

Benjamin's eyes swung to hers. "Yes, I served in the Air Force. My contract was for ten years, but as you heard, it got cut short."

"Ben was always such a klutz." Mrs. Callahan said fondly from the couch, placing a hand on her sons arm. "Well, you have wonderful timing. Your father is due home any minute and Lillian -"

"Benny? Benny!" came Lillian's voice from the stairs. She ran to her brother, who caught her up in his arms. 

"Hello beautiful!" he said, his eyes shining. "You've grown so much." He tucked his head in her soft curls and inhaled deeply. Jane felt a pang in her chest, and regretted judging this sweet man so quickly.

"Benny, you've met Jade right?" Lillian asked. "She's my best friend!"

"I'm afraid I've not met her formally," Ben said as he put his sister down. He extended a hand to Jade. "Hello, a pleasure to meet you. How do you know my family?"

Jade flushed. "I - I'm the house keeper. I live in the pool house, and I'm here for anything your family needs."

"We've never had a maid before. Mother, what changed?"

"Jade is not a maid." Mrs. Callahan responded. "She's my life saver. I don't know what I'd do without her." Jade blushed at the praise. 

Ben opened his mouth to hopefully apologize to Jade for the over simplified characterization of her job, when the door bell rang again. "Daddy's home!"Lillian exclaimed, bouncing down the hall. 

Ben shot Jade a rueful grin, and she walked right by him to open the door.