Chapter Fifteen

Two days have passed since the argument with Tori. I haven't heard from her. Not that I care.

It was a Saturday. I was home alone for the afternoon. Cassie had a family emergency and was out of town for the day. She will be back later tonight. I hate when she is gone. Feels like part of me is missing.

I felt my phone vibrate. I froze when I read the name on the ID. Great. So much for not hearing from her. It was a message, so I opened it up.

It read:

Hey, Wade. Meet me at the park, please? It's urgent. It's about Lennox. Please?

What was this about? Was Lennox okay? I didn't care how I looked. I threw on my shoes and walked out the door.
....................

I made it to the park and saw Tori sitting on the bench. Lennox wasn't with her. I guess it is for the better.

"Hey," she said when is walked up to her. She looked horrible. She was frail and thin. She looked like she hasn't been eating. Scratch that. She looked high. I wish she would just stop already. She was killing herself.

"Umm, I am going to go ahead and get to the point," she stood and looked at me. "I am dropping the adoption. I can see how much you love her. Why give her to another family when she already has one? She cries when I hold her. She doesn't even like me to touch her. I guess she likes you and Cassie more." She paused. "It didn't take me long to decide after you left, but I was just hesitant to call. I don't want to be a mother anymore. I am leaving, Wade. And, I am giving you Lennox. When we go to court, I am signing over my rights. So, go to my house and get Lennox. I packed her some bags. I told my mom you were coming to get her for a few days. I didn't tell her the truth. I don't want to hurt her. You deserve to have Lennox. You are an amazing guy, and I know you and Cassie will be happy together. I wish you luck. Goodbye." She turned and went back to her car.

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I turned and went to my car. I wasted no time. I pulled up to Mrs. Pat's house, and got out.

Before going in, I smiled and said, "daddy's here, Lennox. Daddy is here for good." I walked inside to see Mrs. Pat smiling and holding out my daughter to me. She helped me with her luggage, and I drove my daughter home.

"Welcome home, baby girl. Welcome home."