11

She grows again, becoming even bigger than before. She holds me in her hand as she walked to the Wells.

There's no more thunder here.

They skies are still gray, with black clouds decorating them. Its a tall, crooked tower.

This must be where the Wells stay.

She lowers her hand, allowing me to step onto the cracked pavement. I turn around to face her. "I have a friend out there. We got separated in the storm. His name is Jaime, if you find him, please take care of him." She smiled down at me, nodding.

She leaves. I turned around to face the tower. There's no doors, only pillars that would lead me to my destination.

I was cautious of every step I took, knowing this is where the Crone reside. I didn't put it past her for her to pull any tricks up her sleeve.

"Schenell,"

"Schenell," I looked at my mom who was looking at me curiously, her brows drawn together. "Your food is here." She signs that part.

I look down at the plate of chicken tenders and fries. I grabbed a fry, biting half of it before dropping it on my plate.

I look around the booth, noticing Tanner isn't here. I look at my mom, who has a worried expression.

She doesn't say anything though.

The doorbells chime, my eyes go in the direction to see Tanner coming in. He has a pack of newport in his hand. He takes a seat at the bar again, puts one of the cigarettes up to his lips and takes one puff before waving at a waitress.

She waltz over with a coffee jug in her hand, probably thinking he wanted a refill. They exchange short words, with Tanner pointing towards to tv somewhere in between.

She smiles, digging behind the counter for something.

I look away from the two, and back to my mom. She was watching the scene as well. Her eyes squinted as she saw the waitress cut the tv on, switching the channels until it landed on the news.

She had this look I never seen on her face before. This desperate, anxious look she had as she bit on her lip, her hand rubbing her neck.

I thought she was maybe jealous.

I grabbed another fry, enjoying the salty taste before I felt the worse pain ever in my leg.

"Ow!" I cried, hunching over as I looked up at my mom, seeing a sorry look on her face.

She had kicked me.

"Oh my god, baby!" She screamed, rushing over to where I was in the booth, propping my leg up.

That gained the attention of anyone within earshot of our table, which included Tanner and the waitress. Everyone was so focused on the scene, rushing to our aid.

But I knew what it was a diversion for.

My eyes were on the tv, seeing pictures of my mother's mugshot on the screen, along with pictures of me as a baby, and video surveillance footage of us walking out the hospital back in Miami.