Chapter 22: Papyrus' Role

11:30 . . .

"Sans," Papyrus whispered to him. He saw how wiped out his brother was, but everything happened so fast. They never even had a chance to tell Frisk what would be happening in Evolution. It was Sans' responsibility as her husband to tell her. "Sans?" Yet, his brother was out like a light. Whatever fight he endured, it had taken a lot of strength.

Finally, Sans started to stir.

"Sans, you still need to explain evolution to . . ." Papyrus watched as Sans started to drift off to sleep. He tried to shake him awake again. "You only have until midnight of your first day of evolution to explain. If you don't, she's not going to understand what's going on and you can't . . ." He tried to wake him again, but it just was no use.

Papyrus moved over to the other side and tried to wake up Frisk. "Um. Frisk?" He knew she wasn't sister anymore, that wasn't where she fit. For now, so as not to startle her, he'd just call her by her name. "Frisk?" Frisk wasn't moving either. "For goodness sake." He picked up Frisk and took her away from the bed. He would have to get her some cocoa to wake her up and explain as best he could.

Frisk blinked awake as she smelled cocoa underneath her nose. Soul food. She started to drink it right away.

"Easy, easy. Goodness, look at your clothes. They are all shredded to bits." Papyrus tisked. "Horrible. I wish you two could tell someone what happened."

Soul food. Frisk tried to concentrate on Papyrus. She saw his rounded teeth, but she was swaying back and forth. "Papyrus?"

"Ah, good. Some functionality now, good." Papyrus gave her more cocoa. "We are almost out of time, Frisk, and I must explain to you how evolution works. Now." Her outfit. Torn to shreds. Her eyes. So weak, almost lifeless. Papyrus reached out for her and gave her a hug. "It will be okay. No worries." He felt Frisk tighten her grip on him as he held her cocoa.

"It was horrible. The feeling," Frisk said breathlessly. "Like I was being ripped apart. I couldn't feel the difference between the hurt in my body, or the hurt on my soul."

"There, there, it's all right now," Papyrus insisted. "It's all gone."

"It's never gone. Someone's always after me," Frisk said looking toward him. Somehow, she had ended up being rocked back and forth in his lap like a child. "Why is it always me?"

"I don't know. Special people will have good and bad things happen because they are special I suppose," Papyrus said. He gave her back her cocoa. "I wish I had a blanket for you, you must be freezing. Hardly anything's covered, it's all in strips."

Frisk didn't care. She just leaned in deeper into his embrace.

"No one should be after you. You're right, it isn't fair." Papyrus stroked her hair. "It will all end one day though. Like a bad storm that finally passed outside." Then, Papyrus remembered what he was supposed to be doing. "I need to talk to you about evolution. Sans is going to take it as easy as he can, following the rules the way they must be followed, but making sure he does follow them. If not, he could lose evolution. That would not be good."

"Uh . . . huh." Frisk's understanding was slow. "Okay."

"Well, good. Sans already changed a few little things on you since he didn't want to overwhelm you," Papyrus said. "However, you are going to change who you are each day with him. In other words, ACT. You are going to ACT each twenty four hours as a different kind of 'person', until you two come to a consensus of what and who you are together."

" . . . okay." Frisk was good at ACTing.

"Sans believes that the Lover day will be the hardest for you, but the Luster will be an easier day. And of course, Neutral will be the easiest days of all," Papyrus said. "However, I don't think that's true. I know that humans are more 'loose' but I don't think you gave him the right impression with your um . . . Seven Minutes in Heaven shpiel."