Chapter Twelve

They did not. I spent an hour on my digital diary and I still felt the intense anger and confusion. Setting my laptop back onto my desk, I quickly went to my dresser. I dug through my drawers before I found what I was looking for: the rusted razor blade that I had swiped from the bathroom. It was small, but clean, I mean, I didn't want to get an infection when I was trying to get rid of toxic emotions.

I slid it across my wrist once. Twice. Three times. By the fifth time, the head began to go fuzzy, so I stopped, making my way to the bathroom to wrap my arms in gauze. It didn't do much, but it helped.

Having nothing better to do, I went back to my room to try and get some sleep. Nothing worked. I tried tossing and turning, staring up at the ceiling and blinking rapidly, watching Netflix and staring into space in the silence. Nothing worked.

Eventually, I got tired of it and picked up my laptop, clicking out of Netflix to get to YouTube. Before I could, my eyes caught the article on Athena's trial. My mind went into overdrive, making up kinds of scenarios.

Glancing over at the shirt I had worn the day before, my eyes focused on the torn, blue fabric at the sleeve. Athena had seen me, she had my scent. I knew I was being crazy, but my mind raced, making her out to be like a wild dog.

The image of her came into my field of vision. Where her cat ears had been now sat a pair of bloody wolf ears, her claws morphed into shorter, sharper claws, caked in blood, the dark blue fabric of my shirt clutched in her right hand. Her clothes were more ripped and caked in dirt and blood than they had been when I met her, making me sick to my stomach. In short, she looked like a rabid werewolf, something I was deathly afraid of.

I screamed, throwing a pillow at her. It bounced off the wall, flopping onto my desk with a soft thud, but all my attention was on the rabid werewolf in front of me. She shifted, causing me to flinch.

"Go away!" I screamed out, throwing my alarm clock and hiding under the blankets and other pillow on my bed. I heard no noise, except the sound of my clock breaking against the wall.

I stayed there for a few minutes, hoping and praying that she wouldn't come near me. Once I was sure she was gone, I peeked out, seeing no wolf or blood. Instead, I was met with the broken, smashed remains of my alarm clock and the books that had fallen from my shelf when it hit them, my black pillow sitting on my black desk. My laptop was on the floor from when I flinched so hard and threw my pillow, completely fine, but still needing a charge and some rest.

Sighing, I picked it up and setting on my desk and plugging it in, putting my pillow back on my bed. I stared at the remains of my alarm clock for a minute before finally cleaning up my mess. The glass from the screen cut at my hands, making them bleed slightly, but I ignored it. I took it all down to the trash can in the kitchen, the whole thing wrapped up in a cloth that I never used. I threw the whole thing away, not caring about the cloth and whatever else was in it.

I left a note on the fridge that told my parents that I needed a new clock, not having an energy to text or call anyone at that moment. Quickly, I went up to my room and hid under the covers once again, wrapping the blanket tightly around my head.

"Jewel!" I heard Mom say a few hours later, "I'm home!" I heard the door shut and Nora beginning to run around the house, yelling about how great her day at school was.

"Don't come in here!" I yelled when she ran upstairs, her small footsteps thudding close to my door.

I heard nothing else, but Mom and Nora walking around the house, talking and playing nice music. To try and drown it out, I snatched up my phone and headphones and began listening to some showtunes.

A few minutes later, I felt someone sit on my bed. I slowly took my headphones off and peeked out of the blanket to be faced with a concerned Mom. In her hands, she held a familiar looking cloth. It took me a moment to realize that it was the one with my old alarm clock in it.

"Mind explaining why your alarm clock is broken?" she asked, holding out the cloth.

I glanced down at it, then shrugged, lying back down on my bed and covering myself. "I saw something and threw it at it, but it was nothing," I muttered, swiping into my phone to browse the internet.

"What did you see?" she asked, placing a hand gently on my hip.

I shoved it off and glared up at her. "Nothing," I said in a low, warning tone. Masking guilt and sadness with anger was becoming a second nature to me.

"Are you sure?" she asked, taking her hand away.

"I'm fine!" I yelled, sitting up and pointing to the door, "Now get out!"

A look of concern and hurt made its way onto her face, making me feel the burn of guilt in my chest, but I said nothing and made no change to my face. Once she was gone, I allowed crystal clear tears to fall from my eyes. I didn't like who I was becoming, but it was so hard to stop.

A/N: Hope you guys enjoyed! Bye!