Chapter Two

Two months later:

Gale held my hand tightly as we left the Justice building. I was a Hawthorne now. We hurried to our new home where everyone was waiting for us and toasted the bread before eating it. Our families cheered and we shared a tiny kiss. Barely more then a peck. Gale slipped his arm around me and tightened his grip when the subject of the games came up.

"Can we not?" Rory snapped. "It's Sam and Gales day! We shouldn't remind them."

"I should get a job soon." I whispered into Gales ear.

"Nope it's my job to take care of you and your job to take care of our kids." Gale shook his head.

"We don't have kids." I said confused.

"Give me till tomorrow morning." He nipped at my ear and I couldn't help but giggle. We still had a meal with our families and friends before we were left alone for our "first" night alone. In reality He hadn't been leaving except for the mines every day and then he had been coming back. We had been basically a husband and wife for the past few months since the quarter quell announcement. Well mostly there hadn't been any sex or anything. Peeta called us over to my-our small table laid with food. Gale kept his arms around me like he never wanted to let go. We ended up sharing a plate where we fed each other in from of the small fire in the hearth. Often times the bites of food were accompanied by kisses and light caresses of my face. Gale didn't even try to keep his lips or hands off of me despite my brothers and Dad being right in front of us. My mom hadn't been invited because of the bruises that used to be scattered over my body when Gale met before I ran away. Gale was always outraged by the darker and newer bruises that showed up. He was overjoyed the day the new bruises stopped showing up. He was even more happy when they disappeared all together. But not nearly as happy as the day we said I love you to each other. But I think today tops them all. Our wedding. The day he actually got to call me his wife. At least for the next few months. My goodbye would have to be amazing to him. Our last night would have to be just as amazing as my goodbye to make up for the years stolen from us.
The day of the reaping was hot and seemed to exude sadness. There were two names in the girls bowl and one in the guys. Prim's name got called and I volunteered like I knew I would. Rory's name was also called and we were told to shake hands. Instead I hugged him tightly. He was about as tall as me which lent itself well to the hug. After a few second we were ushered into the different rooms. Gale was the first one into my room and I was in his arms within seconds. He held me close kissing my head.

"I love you. Please fight your way out of this." He pleaded.

"I cant when your brothers on the line." I whispered.

"They're making us choose between you two." Gale said. I felt his tears start to soak my hair.

"Take care of your family until Rory gets home. I love you. Goodbye Mr Hawthorne." I mumbled.

"I love you too. Goodbye Mrs Hawthorne." Gale mumbled back. A peacekeeper pull him away from me and out of the room. I waited for a few seconds before My Dad walked in.

"You can survive Sam. I'll take care of the Hawthorne's while you're gone." He said. I nodded and he pushed cookies towards me. I took them. My ring caught the light. Gale had bought it for me by scraping up savings from the mines. It was my token for the games. It would hopefully be given back to him. I just hope he would be spared from watching my death.